As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Everyone needs to see this (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Everyone needs to see this
Cappy
Re: Everyone needs to see this 18 Years, 11 Months ago
I must admit that I use it a lot. I use Linux at work all the time but not at home.
And I must also admit that the Windows stability is fairly improved in XP. It never crashes. Also an Ableton staff-member told me that they're optimizing on windows, not on mac and if he had the choice he would always buy a x86 notebook.
It's not that I don't like macs but I see no reason (for me) in using them/paying a lot for them, beneath the stylish hardware/boxes and the stylish interface(which would annoy me too soon)...
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
Well i know the stabilty has improved but nog enough out of the box. I use Cubase SX2 on XP and it does crash... And trust me i got A parts... So it's not stable enough.
Killer Beez
they dont need to optimize for mac - cause they know the thing wont crash. Live has never even caused the slightest error on either of my macs. I have never used it on windows though - the only reason I have the PC at all is for copying DVD's and using recycle/bluebox for my MPC1000 - and cool edit pro.
Cappy
@mokbor:
yeah, cubase sucks hard on windows. That's the reason why I don't use it. But cubase is gay anyway. Samplitude is a great program and it has really advanced features. Even if all other Magix applications suck.
IMHO. Now throw stones at me
on new powerbooks live does crazy things... It's useless.
And if we're not talking stability then I can easily say that a 1000 $ pc equals a 2500$ desktop mac in performance.
I use both and I'm not talkin bout mac vs. pc directly. This is about how live performs on both platforms
Killer Beez
thats absurd. I mean, think about what a $2500 mac is - my dual G4 was purchased for $1,200 new from a mac dealer. This thing can handle anything thrown at it. For over twice the money you can most likely get the dual G5 - no PC is gonna come close that costs $1000 - even a dual athalon whatever.

I dont know man, my older G3 ibook runs live quite well. The only thing slowing it down is the speed of the internal drive - the same will be true for even the newest powerbook. Laptop drives are generally 4500 RPM - thats too slow for live. However, when you run live off of an external drive over firewire a laptop will blow your mind with what it can do.

If you have a powerbook running live and you are having issues, its probably more to do with user error than the CPU. You can probably run live off of a wristwatch - its effiecent and compact - however, where your samples are loading from is a completely different story altogether.
well, Live *4* runs better on a PC than a Mac. but that's mainly because of the plugins being used and the fact that, as mentioned, Ableton doesn't try to optimize them for Macs at all (though they use Powerbooks to demo their software in every video I've seen; for stability perhaps?).

but having a Mac/PC debate and only using Live as the benchmark is silly; there *are* other audio apps out there, you know. both platforms are capable of running them and both have their high/low points. so neither is best for everyone or every application. it just comes down to what you like using, what you're used to and what runs your favorite app most efficiently and with the most stability.
King Koopa
Yeah i didn't want to start an OS war

So it's all down to personal preference...
IMO having both or the third Linux is the best possible answer. It comes down to different OS structure and what you use each machine for, what kind of work you are doing.

The thing I like about Mac is that everything is pretty much in front of you. You can drop a program in the bin and it's erased. You don't have to defrag. You don't have any viruses. I also like the fact that the Powerbook has a built in mic and line input. BTW, with the apple care we pretty much have a new powerbook right now, new screen, new drives, etc.

PC is good for business apps and games since some sites like the federal student aid site requires a PC to apply. Some banks, I know at least in Korea, only use PC. If you are into games PC is good too. It's a good common platform.

But c'mon nobody has that much excitement unless they are a CEO of a multinational multibillion dollar government funded and protected private company.
Boo

milkmansnd wrote:
thats absurd. I mean, think about what a $2500 mac is - my dual G4 was purchased for $1,200 new from a mac dealer. This thing can handle anything thrown at it. For over twice the money you can most likely get the dual G5 - no PC is gonna come close that costs $1000 - even a dual athalon whatever.

Ah another victim of the cleverly thought out synthetic benchmarks Apple puts out there. Look at those high scores in that benchmark!!!! (off course nthey are high, they selected this test because the G5 is good at it).

Just because a mac outperforms a pc on photoshop doesn't make this a fact for every application.

As someone said before. It's no use starting some OS war and i'm not going to. Just accept the fact that modern PC outperform any mac out there today. Saying a 1000 Dollar Pc outperforms a 2500 Dollar mac might be a bit over the top. But for a thousand dollars you are buying a very nice Athlon 64 system (without monitor). I'm thinking 3500+ or more.

Apple will have to find another way (and that way is Intel cpu's so the news goes round).

I btw also heard from friends that live runs shitty on mac compared to how it runs on pc. Shame.......
Go to top Post Reply