As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Buy - Sell - Trade Creating Bubba-like launches with Ping G20 Driver (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Creating Bubba-like launches with Ping G20 Driver
Goomba
Creating Bubba-like launches with Ping G20 Driver 10 Years, 6 Months ago
Director of engineering Brad Schweigert says it wasn’t easy improving upon Ping’s popular best price g15 driver when it came time to produce a next generation product in that category. “But we found that by doing lots of little things, we could make significant enhancements,” he said. The result is the G20, and it looks to boost Ping driver performance in a number of ways.

My best price golf clubs journey started by spending some time getting fit with the correct loft, shaft, and flex. I hit a lot of clubs – so there weren’t many surprises when I landed on the best numbers and overall feel with a 10.5 degree Regular flex driver. My swing speed is rather low and this setup with the TFC 169D shaft has proven to be a perfect combination of consistency and distance. Although I’ll still pull or push a few drives during a typical round – my overall play from the tee has left me smiling ear-to-ear.

“One of the first steps was to optimize the location of the center of gravity,” he said. “One of the reasons (Ping staff professional) Bubba Watson hits his drives so far is that they are launched high with very low spin. And with the best price Ping G20 Driver, we are trying to create Bubba-like launch conditions for every player, in large part by adding an external weight to the rear of the club.”

Another advancement with the Ping G20 Irons is a large, variable-thickness clubface that generates faster ball speeds and increases Moment of Inertia (MOI) across the hitting surface for increased power and forgiveness. Ping engineers were also able to beef up MOI by employing a lighter, lower density titanium alloy, dubbed Ti 8-1-1, in a 460cc clubhead that is slightly heavier than in previous models.

And the high strength-to-weight ratio of that clubhead allowed technicians to strategically place additional weight in ways that boosted MOI in both the vertical and horizontal axes.

Finally, Schweigert and his colleagues turned to a proprietary, high-balance-point stock shaft, called TFC 169D, for help. Though the TFC 169D is lighter than most, the overall swing weight of the G20 driver remains unchanged, due to the heavier clubhead. And that, he said, allows golfers to make contact with a clubhead that not only has more stability but also more energy.
  The topic has been locked.
Go to top Post Reply