As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT Sampling Help answers please...... (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT Sampling Help answers please......
Boo
OT Sampling Help answers please...... 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Its been ages since I sold my OT but I'm going to buy one again as the OS sounds more stable and features are now better implemented.

However, I wanted to as regarding sampling if anyone is kind enough to take the time to answer.

I remember just manually sampling and then editing so it looped and then slicing it.

However, I wish to get further into the detailed sampling modes

1.sequenced sampling

2.One shot

3.quantized sampling

So for example I have a funk loop that I sample, can someone explain the 3 different modes and what they are could effectively be used for. Its been a while, i read the manual but I'm still confused??
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Gear:

Octatrack
Waldorf Blofeld
Re:OT Sampling Help answers please...... 10 Years, 7 Months ago
It's a bit absurd to come to an Elektron forum and ask if you should get a box. People
Will just say yes lol.

I'm not really sure what you're referring to?

Sequenced sampling would be like placing a trig on the record track and playing.

Quantized would be like queueing up the buffer when you start the loop over or whatever.

Advanced sampling Isn't really something I understand though. Are you talking about editing samples? Because you can definitely do that.
Boo
Octacrak wrote:
It's a bit absurd to come to an Elektron forum and ask if you should get a box. People
Will just say yes lol.

I'm not really sure what you're referring to?

Sequenced sampling would be like placing a trig on the record track and playing.

Quantized would be like queueing up the buffer when you start the loop over or whatever.

Advanced sampling Isn't really something I understand though. Are you talking about editing samples? Because you can definitely do that.

eh I'm going to buy one, and was asking for clarification regarding the different sampling modes.

I still don't get it and hence for example I listed a funk song and would this would mean.
Cappy
tofu wrote:
Its been ages since I sold my OT but I'm going to buy one again as the OS sounds more stable and features are now better implemented.

However, I wanted to as regarding sampling if anyone is kind enough to take the time to answer.

I remember just manually sampling and then editing so it looped and then slicing it.

However, I wish to get further into the detailed sampling modes

1.sequenced sampling

2.One shot

3.quantized sampling

So for example I have a funk loop that I sample, can someone explain the 3 different modes and what they are could effectively be used for. Its been a while, i read the manual but I'm still confused??

"sequenced sampling" is "RECORDER TRIG SAMPLING" in the manual (pg. 54)

"one shot" is a variation of Recorder Trig Sampling (also pg. 54)

As for #3, you are probably thinking of the QREC and QPL parameters in RECORDING SETUP 2 MENU

Be sure you download the manual for OS 1.25 (latest) and read that. There are only two sampling methods, according to the manual: Manual and Recorder Trig. But within these two methods there are loads of options that will take you down different paths, and that is what makes sampling on the OT so confusing.

I would suggest following the advice that darenager gave me, which is to create a fresh Project for each sampling approach (there are way more than 3!!!) and try to sample with just that approach only. Learn one at a time.... That is what I am doing.
Boo
Thanks for the reply thats why I confused regarding the recorder trigs.

So for example if I have track 1 with a beat I made up

track 2 would be a recorder trig I set for example here

xxxx Rxxx xxxx xxxx

So it start recording on the 1.2 as I set the recorder trig there and it end at 1.4, is that correct?. Am I missing something here?, I read the manual but I 'm an idiot as I still don't get it.

I don't understand the benefits?
Cappy
I need to correct myself. There is actually a third sampling method - Pickup Machine Sampling. It doesn't offer as many options as the two track recorder sampling methods. This is the method I've been using the majority of my time on the Octatrack. I am a noob myself on this machine. Everything that I do know, I have had to work hard to learn - lots of trial and error and head-scratching, with a few hints/advice gleaned from the forum.

I have yet to try Recorder Trig sampling myself. I have to play a gig with the Octatrack in a couple of weeks, so my time has been focused on practicing using it in the manner that I have worked out (with the help of more experienced OT users like tarekith, darenager, rhizome, etc.), so that I minimize my mistakes and hopefully don't screw up royally on the gig.

After the gig, I plan to dig into Recorder Trig Sampling. My rough guess about the benefit is that you can have audio running on one track, and another track sampling it in time with the sequencer, so you don't have to pause from whatever it is you're doing just to initiate sampling. But this looks like the sort of thing you only really start to "get" by doing it yourself and doing it a lot, but I realize you can't do that without having your hands on an Octatrack.

Perhaps one of the Octatrack gods will come along and give you a better answer about the benefits of the Recorder Trig method.
Boo
Appreciate it mate, if an Octatrack god can help much appreciated, its the only thing I just can't get my head around.
King Koopa
recorder trigs are useful if you're continuously sampling something live, such as a synth you're controlling from the MIDI sequencer, your friend playing guitar, another OT track, etc. not so much for the classic grab a loop from a record kind of sampling.

it's a different approach and leads to frustration for many people who want to do MPC-style one-time threshold sampling. which is not at all to say you can't achieve the same results on the OT, just be aware that the machine isn't geared towards that.

I think people are still figuring out how to really use features like recording trigs in a performance setting, which is exciting to me.
Boo
rhizome wrote:
recorder trigs are useful if you're continuously sampling something live, such as a synth you're controlling from the MIDI sequencer, your friend playing guitar, another OT track, etc. not so much for the classic grab a loop from a record kind of sampling.

it's a different approach and leads to frustration for many people who want to do MPC-style one-time threshold sampling. which is not at all to say you can't achieve the same results on the OT, just be aware that the machine isn't geared towards that.

I think people are still figuring out how to really use features like recording trigs in a performance setting, which is exciting to me.

Thank you that make sense, manual sampling I understand and similar to what I do on a MPC

Just wanted to know and understand recorder trigs to someone who's ever used mpc/roland samplers because the concept seems so abstract..

However, can I ask say I want to record a synth from ableton then I can add a recorder trig when the main riff starts and then it sample it for X amount of time?.
King Koopa
yup, where X is a number of steps. once you know what you're doing, it's very easy to quickly capture perfect loops from anything MIDIed.
Go to top Post Reply