As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear I need help picking a new PC for audio (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: I need help picking a new PC for audio
King Koopa
I need help picking a new PC for audio 10 Years, 7 Months ago
I have to get a new PC for running the Native Instruments,etc... software and whatever DAW i decide to get(probobly ableton or cubase).

I have an RME fireface 800, so i will need a firewire card too.

I obviously want 64 bit with alot of ram....

I honestly hate dealing with computers(AND i have not been following the technology so don't know shit about them these days..), but i NEED to get a new one because my programs aren't compatible anymore : (

Can someone please reccomend an average priced allready built desktop which would be good?

I don't think i want to "build one" because i am guessing that would be too much extra time consuming, and i want to spend time making sound/music, not learning everything about building a new PC.

I was considerring something like an already built lenovo desktop with windows 8 for under $500.

Also, are there compatibility issues with various audio programs and windows 8, should i get windows 7 ?

I really hope someone can lead me in the right direction because it is just too time consuming to open this can of worms alone...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  The topic has been locked.
Re:I need help picking a new PC for audio 10 Years, 7 Months ago
I don't want to start a mac vs PC debate on here, but if you're using such a high quality FireWire audio interface, have you considered a mac with its native FireWire support?

Would you be using it purely for music creation? Do you use a lot of soft synths and therefore require a lot of CPU?

If you're not in need of the fastest spec then I would look at a mac mini, possibly second-hand.

I doubt you will find an off-the-shelf PC with FireWire, so you will need to do a bit of building and configuring I'm afraid. I've not had to buy or build a PC for ten years now so I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you a more accurate picture of the kid of PC you need.

If you get the choice, Windows 7 beats 8.
  The topic has been locked.
Go to top Post Reply