As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear External MIDI controller for Octa (no computer involved) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: External MIDI controller for Octa (no computer involved)
Goomba
External MIDI controller for Octa (no computer involved) 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Hello,
I am looking for right external piece to control some of Octatrack's functions that I need to use regulary, but do not want to enter pages during set. Most important is to have external volume control for each track (so I can change volume on more than 1 track...), and later for some effect parameters, trigs...
Wich external MIDI contollers you guys have experience can be programmed for such task (8 different MIDI channels with specified CCs..)?

thanx

Ivan
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
A4
MD
MnM
OT
Re:External MIDI controller for Octa (no computer involved) 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I don't have one, but I have been investigating the Novation Zero SL. I think this will do the trick.
Goomba
Re:External MIDI controller for Octa (no computer involved) 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Thanx Goseba. My thoughts are going in similar direction. Just not shure if Zero SL can be programmed to send CCs via different channels. Novation manual is terrible for anything more demanding than DAW integration...
Game & Watch
Yes it can, very comprehensive thing, having said this I never use mine
Goomba
Thanx Daren. I will probably go with MK1 (looks more compact than mk2).
Btw. Halcyon Days sounds wicked and very old skool. Rare oportunity to see Elektrons on plastic
King Koopa
You could always get utilities to do the trick, such as Kenton stuff or midipal.
King Koopa
Octatrack
Nord Micro Modular
Shruthi-1
TX81Z
MPC1000
darenager wrote:
Yes it can, very comprehensive thing, having said this I never use mine

Same here it's a great thing and I lusted after it for a long time before I finally got it. Every once in a while I get in the mood to play with it but I almost never bother, maybe because the template editing software is so crappy.

I know that some folks use Lemur or maybe it was TouchOSC on their iPads for this. They seem pretty happy with it. I used to be a tactile control purist and it pains me to say this but seems much less awkward to just use a touch screen where you can arrange/label controls as you like, as well as switching pages quickly and easily. Seems like a nice complement to the more tactile OT interface too.
Boo
Novation seems to purposely make their controllers and the software that comes with it absolute shit for controlling hardware.

Arturia has the best, most simple software for mapping and assigning CCs/NPRNs to their controllers. Alas, they don't have something like the Zero SL.

As other commeters suggested, Touch OSC or Lemur have great templates for the OT that will allow you to do what you want- but that requires an iPad chained in. I do this very sparingly, but once I get my iConnectMIDI 4+ (been waiting AGES for the release), I suspect I'll get a clamp and a stand to lock the iPad into the studio to make use of it's incredible functionality as a sequencer and controller.
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
why not get a cheap bcf2000 from ebay..

i used a bcr2000 to controll my mc909.. and it was lovely..
i share your need for external volume control. and i was thinking about going that route..
though.. never ended up actually doing it.. just to busy with other stuff..
l
ater I found out my digitalmixer/recorder can send out fader movement.
so sometimes i use those for volume control that works pretty ace..
(but that be way to heavy to be called portable..)
I use a BCF2000

No problems with CCs or sysex to the MD and other synths (used it with a phatty and alpha juno in the past). I have yet to put together a template for the OT, but it is on the short list of things to do. Okay support through the yahoo group and BCmanager software makes programming more complex things a bit easier.

I really wish the OT's tempo could be controlled by CC or sysex message.

Anyone mine any OT sysex control messages? Nothing published yet.
Go to top Post Reply