As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Monomachine control with QuNexus to mimic SFX-6 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Monomachine control with QuNexus to mimic SFX-6
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
Re:Monomachine control with QuNexus to mimic SFX-6 10 Years, 6 Months ago
Halo of Teeth wrote:
Hi guys,
My name is Diane and I use the Monomachine and Machinedrum a lot in my music. I also work for Keith McMillen Instruments designing software for midi controllers. We have a keyboard controller called QuNexus which has pressure and tilt sensitive keys which works very nicely for me with the Monomachine.

I made a group of QuNexus presets which allows you to use polyphonic pressure and tilt to modulate Monomachine parameters normally controlled by the joystick on the discontinued SFX-6.

QuNexus will let you control these joystick parameters without taking your fingers off the keys and it is very portable and customizable. These joystick parameters can be assigned to control virtually any element in your own instruments, but there is also a Kit file included as an example, as well as a quickstart guide explaining how to set everything up.

Hope you like it and I'd love to hear any feedback/suggestions you have.

Here is a link to the project page where you can download it (the file was too big to be uploaded here.)

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/project-detail/1833820-qunexus-monomachine-control

Here's a video of me playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XkXIbqLzg_w

And here is a link with more info about the controller:

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/qunexus/tour

Thanks!
-Diane

Diane--

THANKS SOOOO MUCH!!! In just finished ordering both items then went to your website and ordered the CV Connection Cable Kit because it can be found nowhere else and if priced *anywhere else* via individual cables, it would cost at least 2x what KMI charges @ $29.95

Poly After Touch, and all else is just a no brainer and at the great prices!! I use a lot of hardware rack synths as well so this will just be like unlocking Pandora's Box to infinite possibilities.
Thanks so much for the files you supplied/shared with us
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
That's excellent, glad to see you're so excited! Thank you for the kind words, and let me know if you have any questions. Would love to see what you come up with, enjoy.
Goomba
daffydub wrote:
I have the iconnect midi - will that work?

Also, I checked about iConnect. It will probably work, but we don't have one around the office to test with so we can't guarantee it. But no reason why not as far as I know...
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
Halo of Teeth wrote:
That's excellent, glad to see you're so excited! Thank you for the kind words, and let me know if you have any questions. Would love to see what you come up with, enjoy.

You are welcome and yes, I do have question(s) before my orders arrive, please?! I totally understand that not *all* synths will respond to poly after touch and more that often it is "channel after touch" and my first question is this overcome somehow by QuNexus, and does QuNexus use standard midi controller numbers?
Lastly, with the pitch/modulation done by tipping one's playing of the individual QuNexus keys, is that addressed via midi as modulation wheel/pitch wheel midi cc's?
Thanks!
Even though I do use Reaper DAW to record my work and mainly audio rather than midi, even though Reaper is unique in that it treats both exactly the same, when I ordered, I did buy the MIDI Expander because it just seemed like a no-brainer how versatile that allows the QuNexus to be.
Sorry, my LAST question to you or ANYONE on here; Has anyone used the QuNexus as an external EXPRESSIVE as hell keyboard for the Analog Four? Rather than having to place parameter locks for after touch and velocity, this bad boy QuNexus should allow the keyboard player to lay in some dynamics (in theory) rather than using the on-board mini keypad. How cool!
Diane, so there's no drivers needed? How is this accomplished? All within the device, I presume?
Thanks again!
Goomba
Double Post! WTF???
Cappy
Finally everything worked out....ordered.....waiting.... Will post results with iconnect midi
Hammer Bro
MD MKII 10th Anniversary Edition
Monomachine MKII
Facebook Page
Hey Diane,

Thanks for taking the time to make some Elektron presets!

I'm not in the market (broke!), but i'll be looking into this gear in the future for sure.

Be sure to sign up with an account to the NEW Elektron board.

elektronauts.com

This site will be going into freeze mode once the beta for the new site is done.

I'm sure A LOT of elektronauts will be interested in this kit on the new board as well.

peace
Goomba
Hi Namnibor,
Sorry it took me a couple days to get back to you, been working a lot, and I knew your questions deserved a detailed response. So here it goes...

not *all* synths will respond to poly after touch and more that often it is "channel after touch" and my first question is this overcome somehow by QuNexus, and does QuNexus use standard midi controller numbers?

QuNexus can send Midi CC's, the controller numbers are customizable by default it sends pressure on CC 1. It also can send channel pressure which is a continuous pressure value (from 0-127) for the entire keyboard (an average of the pressure of all keys on one channel). Or it can also send Poly Aftertouch messages, which is a different continuous pressure value for each note.

We have a couple ways of getting around synths that don't accept polyphonic pressure. When QuNexus sends pressure or tilt on a CC there is a priority you can set so that the latest, earliest, highest or lowest key controls the pressure/tilt output.

For the Monomachine I have used a different method of achieving polyphony. It accepts data on a different channel for each track, by default channels 1-6, where track 1 is channel 1, track 2 is channel 2, etc. This allows you to play polyphonically and stack the voices using the QuNexus if you use something we call channel rotation.

Channel rotation puts each note on a different channel as you play them. So the first note I play would go on channel 1 and trigger the machine on track 1. If I hold that note down and play a second one, that goes to track 2 etc.

You can also play polyphonically by playing on channel 9 (the "auto track channel") and putting the monomachine into poly mode. Then QuNexus will control whichever track is currently selected.

tipping one's playing of the individual QuNexus keys, is that addressed via midi as modulation wheel/pitch wheel midi cc's?

We call that the "tilt" source and you can assign it to be sent over pitch bend or midi cc's. By default it is sent with pitch bend.

On the Monomachine, pitch bend corresponds to the Joy Stick left/right control and it can be assigned to any 2 parameters, not necessarily pitch up / down. Also, CC 1 corresponds to Joy stick up and CC 2 corresponds to Joy stick down. Each of these controls can be assigned to 2 parameters as well.

To make it even more flexible, each track on the monomachine has a different assign page for the joystick parameters, all of which can be controlled on individual keys using channel rotation on QuNexus.

Say you have tilt assigned to pitch bend on QuNexus and you are using channel rotation with pressure assigned to CC 1.

And on the monomachine you assign CC 1 to the filter cutoff on track 1, but it's assigned to resonance on track 2.

Then pressing and tilting the first key you press will bend the pitch and modulate the filter cutoff on track 1. If you add a second key to that, separately tilting and pressing on it will separately modulate the pitch and filter resonance on track 2.

So that's how it works!
Goomba
Finally everything worked out....ordered.....waiting.... Will post results with iconnect midi

Awesome, hope you like it! And please do post about the iconnect. I'm sure a lot of people would be curious to know if that works or not.
Goomba
Double post for me too, sorry...
Go to top Post Reply