As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Apporaching 2 elektrons - technical aspects of composing (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Apporaching 2 elektrons - technical aspects of composing
Apporaching 2 elektrons - technical aspects of composing 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I do own an Octatrack and a Monomachine.

With every machine on its own i feel now comfortable to compose a piece or song.

Both together are a complete new beast (not to think about the trinity or quadrinity, at least not for me).

My first approach was to use the song mode on both machines with the MM as slave.
While you are in song mode and select a line then the MM in song mode jumps to the same line and i was really happy with that.

But i really love to explore a good song structure while playing and tweaking and muting along and thats were i had a hard time with both machines.

Since yesterday i try to use the MM as a kind of sound module and control every aspect from the OT (i really love the "cc direct connect" setting). I search for a good sound on the MM but the I make the patterns, p-locks and song structure only from the OT.

I am very interested what is your approach to control and compose with 2 elektron machines.

Best,
SLX
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Apporaching 2 elektrons - technical aspects of composing 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I know exactly what you mean. I own all four, but very rarely use more than two in one track, and even then usually 90% comes from one of the machines. I find it much easier to compose within a single box, so I can't really give you any tips
Goomba
Re:Apporaching 2 elektrons - technical aspects of composing 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I have the OT and Analog 4. Fairly new to Elektron so haven't worked out how to combine them effectively in projects. When I load an OT project, how do I get the matching song/kit/pattern to load up on the A4? Program change obviously I guess, but the manuals are hopeless on this! Thanks for any advice.
Cappy
I have all 4
MD is master, and sends clock/start/stop/program change
The 3 other machines receive these commands and are all slaved
I work in pattern mode only

When MD plays pattern A1 - so do all the other 3... And so forth
I sequence each machine by it's own sequenser...and some additional synths get sequenced by MnM.... Then I run them into a Desk with a couple fx on.. And presto
It's really smooth.... Except for the Octa which is new to me, and still confusing with the parts and whatnot.... They should have kept the same structure to make the 4some work perfectly together IMO

For 1 song I never use more than 8 patterns so there's plenty room for a whole set!
Daffydub, that sounds interesting. I never used program change messages, in my 1st approach i realized a pattern change with the song mode.

I have really high expectations on my new approach (OT controls everything, MM is soundmodule only more or less) and thinking about the possibilities i am feeling like i am on drugs ... MM with variable pattern length, p-locking MM parameters and OT effects for the same output all on one machine ... and the OTs "cc direct connect" is just fantastic, like you turn a knob on the MM and the cc number is automatically dialed in in a specific cc slot in midi mode. Wow.
Cappy
Slx
That sounds wicked... But it's a few months down the road for me to get the Octa right
King Koopa
I perform currently with a4 and MDUW, alongside my friend Christian who also uses an a4 and MDUW. I had an OT in the mix for a while, until a month ago. He also has a MnM that gets thrown in at times. With my OT, it was master and ran clock to everything else down the line (currently my a4 is master, but has the same job). If interested in technical stuff, ask.

Anyway, we do live improv sets. In this setting they each become independent, but still connected for clock/transport. The 4-6 elektrons are sequenced in live time as one of us sees fit. We only use 1 pattern and we basically play them as instruments as we progress through 1hr or so lengths of audio. Obviously this is different than composing, but it works for us. I start clock and we just play. Live, the 4-6 elektrons are also accompanied by an op1, tt303, 2 marsynth boards, iPads, and kp3. When jamming at one of our places, many additional synths and toys ranging from an arp odyssey to slim patty and sh101 are always on and ready for whatever. We each have handheld recorders and we record directly from mixer tape outs. Different handhelds and mixers in each respective setting. I start clock and we just play, and record. I then put audio into ableton, compress slightly and some other basic processing. Upload online.

I know this isn't exactly what you are trying to do, but as I said, it works for us. Get them synced and just make noise/music. The elektrons are some of the greatest improvisational tools I've ever owned.
Cappy
IHDR,

What made you take the OT out of the set up recently?
King Koopa
Re:Apporaching 2 elektrons - technical aspects of composing 10 Years, 7 Months ago
I was playing a show in Kansas City in June and Damon Mar (of marsynth) and I got to talking. He had an arp odyssey he wasn't using and was talking about how he wanted an octatrack. By the end of the weekend, we decided to trade. I traded my OT with one of my eit1 stands for a near mint arp odyssey. I didn't really think twice about it, knowing I wouldn't get the same opportunity twice, yet I could buy another OT whenever. I plan to have another OT by the end of the year.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Re:Apporaching 2 elektrons - technical aspects of composing 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Personally I find it easier to compose on multiple Elektrons if they specific roles in the song no matter the song. IE, the MD always does the drums, the OT is always the clock master and used for transitions, etc. Also, I try and stick to a similar layout of my sounds on each device, basslines are always track 2 on the OT, leads are track 3, etc.
Go to top Post Reply