As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Walforf Blofeld, Monomachine or Analog 4? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Walforf Blofeld, Monomachine or Analog 4?
Goomba
Re:Walforf Blofeld, Monomachine or Analog 4? 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Thanks for all the replies guys. Think it'll just come down to my budget and what I can afford. Any other aspects I should consider?
  The topic has been locked.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
The other aspect is regarding the box that is doing the midi sequencing: if you go with MD + Blofeld, you will need to deal with the MD's kind of sequencing, which is quite awkward for melodic/note based synth control.

For this reason, I would go with MD + MnM or MD + A4; nothing wrong with the Blofeld per se, but trying to sequence it from the MD would eventually become a P.I.T.A.

some old ramblings on this: http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=116614&catid=9
the blofeld is a good synth but unfortunately (unless things have changed with the black/newest models...) i've been having problems since i first got it.
the firmware freaks out once in a while, meaning you have to restart it in the middle of whatever you are doing. often you get sounds which contain artifacts generated by the effects used..sometimes it's good, others not so much...you may want to have a clean delay without pops and crackles now and then it has some sampling capabilities (you need to get a license to activate it though) but no MIDI OUT
overall...the blo is a nice little synth with a lot of power, but if i had to choose, i would probably get myself an XT or a Q or definitively go for an 'all elektron' setup
King Koopa
A4 / MD UW+ / MNM / Nord Lead II / Waldorf XT
Starting from the MD, I'd recommend your next purchase be either the MNM or A4 over the Waldorf. Here's why:

1. For every part you use on the Blo, you'll lose a track on the MD.
2. As Poonti said, sequencing melodies on the MD is quite a pain since notes are displayed as numbers rather than notes. (There are some other limitations too, but I think they apply to sequencing from the MNM too.)
3. I don't have a Blo, but I do have a Waldorf microQ, which is almost the same unit. It has some great features and you can make some cool sounds with it, but the matrix-style interface really sucks for programming sounds from scratch. You'll probably want to use a computer-based software editor for it. For this reason, my microQ almost never gets switched on.

As for MNM or A4 . . . it's a tough choice. The MNM is probably more versatile in the range of sounds you can get out of it. If I were just using the MD plus one of these two, I'd probably go for the MNM.

On the other hand, the A4 is perhaps more immediately fun (and even satisfying) than the MNM, which really takes a lot of time to master. The A4 has much better effects and filters, and it has performance macros, which are really great (especially if you're performing live).

Your choice might also depend a bit on what you want to buy after that – the MNM does external MIDI sequencing, while the A4 can do external CV/gate sequencing.
Boo
My advice: get an OT before an MnM or an A4 (depending on the type of music you make/want to make I guess).

I came to the OT last and it's the one Elektron box I couldn't ever see myself parting with. It really becomes the epicenter of your music life- Sure it isn't analog nor is it a mega midi sequencer for melodies, but it finds the middle ground between the digital bright or coldness of the MnM and the Bouncy or Dark edges of the A4. Have a total blast with sampling and resampling the MD on the OT and watching the glitchiness of the MD reach new heights with scenes on the OT. Then go download every drum machine, synth and random crap you've ever heard make a sound, throw it on a 64 GB 600x CF card and you're pretty much set for life...

Until you, like all gear heads eventually do, decide you need something else to make your set-up complete....

Next, grab a cheap Blofeld and sequence it with the OT- Pretty much have all the sonic territory you can cover with an MnM, (very well implemented) midi sequencing (with 3 note chords now), and, eventually, the ability to take a little idea and turn it into the beginnings of an actual song in less than an hour. Then I'd get an A4 to fill in the sonic territory blanks left by a 24 bit sampler, a 12 bit drum machine, and a digital polysynth- at that point you'll find you'll only really use 1-2 tracks on the A4 per song, but they'll be the glue that holds it together.

Then, you probably won't need an MnM until you have too many other vintage synths and not enough time or ability to sit and write melodies the traditional way (like me!). The MnM sounds very nice and specific and it's an incredible synth- but it's true value lies in it being like a MIDI sketchpad for other instruments. Truly nothing else quite like it in that respect, but you can sequence a blofeld or similarly priced synth on the OT and get a lot of what you'd want from the MnM (again, depending on the music you make- if you like big ambient chords and pads and evolving buildups, then go with the MnM. If you want to get off the computer for good, get an OT and build around it. It's the first thing I grab when I have an idea, and the last power switch to go off at night.
Goomba
A4
MD
MnM
OT
I have picked up an A4, MnM and MD in the last couple of months. I got the MnM first and it just clicked. I then sold a lot of other gear to pick up the other two.

I wish I had an OT too but that would mean selling off my last couple of keyboards and bits which I would rather not do,

I have been thinking of a Blofeld again (sold mine 8 or 9 months ago) but recently I have been getting the hardware bug back. Also considering an older Virus.

I think the Blofeld would fit nicely with the others but I fancy something different.

Or I may just go for it and save for an OT. (Anyone selling one? I could go to £600).

The most frustrating part of this - since I have had my Elektrons, I have only had an hour or so to play with them!! I know this will change but the frustration is incredible.
Goomba
Thanks for the responses guys, super insightful, got lots to think about now.

Conor
Cappy
Blofeld sounds nice, but the fiddly encoders doesn't make the menu diving any better (though the interface is very good for what it is), and i did not like programming melodies with the MD via a pitch knob. Monomachine is more limited (kind of- the effects chains you can make with neighbor tracks have a lot of potential) but I enjoy programming it much more. I have four analog synths but hardly use them anymore because I feel they distract me from the Mono, which the more I use the more I love. Most gear I have acquired has a honeymoon period within the first month. I've had the Mono for about a year now and it's just really starting to open up to me. I get excited about using it in the same way I get excited about using a new piece of equipment. The midi tracks would most likely be useful in the future if you add more gear, and you can also do some funky stuff using the midi tracks on the MD. Aside from Autechre and Animal Collective, forum member Phading/Cutoph's music is what really sold me on the Mono, I'd recommend cheking it out if you cant try a Mono in person.

Never used an A4, I'm sure it's awesome though.
Goomba
Thanks, I'll definitely check that out!
Cappy
Gear:

Octatrack
Waldorf Blofeld
I'm currently using a OT + Blo combo.

I can say in no uncertain terms that this is a limitless and money efficient combo that shouldn't be overlooked.

Yes, the matrix interface is kinda annoying, but you can learn to work with it and even sequence different things from the blofeld knobs itself. It works super well and super easy and I have personally not have a problem with the blofeld. I got mine new in April if that makes a difference.

OT + Blofeld is a super sick combo OP, don't discount it simply because the Blofeld doesn't have it's own sequencer. The OT sequencer is sick.
Go to top Post Reply