As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear MD SPS-1 UW....so many questions! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD SPS-1 UW....so many questions!
MD SPS-1 UW....so many questions! 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I'm having trouble getting the most out of my MD as I can't get my head round some of the basics, hopefully I'll get advice here.

All I have on my MD is about 20 samplebanks like RnB RnB2 Pop Rock etc...
I also have 2 I downloaded most likely from this site named BC and Analogue, besides those last 2 the others don't really cater for the sound I want, I make techno, electro and house.

1: Could someone point me in the direction where I can fill up my MD with samples or samplebanks?

2: Can I import wav samples thru the ram machines and copy to ROM and is there a better way of importing samples?

3: when I make a drum pattern after building my kit, I save kit and save snapshot, I see online people have a list of kits to choose from when they got to the load kit screen, I only have one kit and no more. Any ideas?

I'll leave it at that for now but one more thing, I had issues with the MD freezing and after updating the OS it still happens the odd time, music keeps playing but no response from any controls.
Also sometimes when I'm really going crazy with tweaking ALL controls e.g. filter sweeps and then I hit function to reset, the MD will make a bassy pop on the start of the reset riff which wouldn't do in a live setting, is it because I'm driving the levels or frequencies too hard before the reset?
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:MD SPS-1 UW....so many questions! 10 Years, 9 Months ago
1. that is entirely up to you. experiment! you have 2.5MB space pr samplebank. you can transfer .wav and .aif files with c6.

2. yes, you can record stuff with the RAM machines and copy it over to ROM. When recording, keep the LEN parameter of the RAM recorder machine in mind, set it so that you don't record unwanted silence. Copying to ROM works by going into the sample manager, if you scroll all the way down, you'll see the 4 ram buffers. FUNCTION + COPY to copy. FUNCTION + PASTE to paste.

3. uhh.. ?? just save your kit to a different slot? it's like "save as.." on a computer

i too get that bassy pop when switching tweaked out kits.
Goomba
I have a question, too: I have a new MD UW+ MKII. Frankly, I'm not sure if it came with the extras installed on the UW or not! I'm wondering if I do a factory reset, if those patterns and sounds will then be there or not. As I read in the manual, they should be, but I'm concerned with losing them.

Yeah ... I know ... I'm just getting a bit overwhelmed with options, I guess! I've changed a kit and I'll be damned if I can get it to go back. All I can find is "industrial" and nothing else is listed anywhere. I assume I'm missing a step in there somewhere and I've got my manual cracked open and my eyes are glossing over ... argh! Time to take a break and come back at it fresh, I think. I need a better schedule.

Also, are there any tutorials or vids that would be recommended besides the official Elektron ones? I love watching/hearing what I've found so far (I'm calling you out, Trondc!), but I wouldn't mind watching more to see what I can pick up/am missing.

Thanks in advance. Feel funny asking such noob questions about something, actually.
Thanks for the help!
King Koopa
MD SPS-1UW+
Analog FOUR
Renoise 2.8

http://soundcloud.com/doktor-fibonacci
@ Bluemonster, what do you mean you don't know if your MDUW came with all the stuff? Are you referring to samplepack / soundbanks? If yes, than you have to access the plus drive to open these sample kits & soundbanks. You can do this from the global menu (file area).

Here's something that I figured out the hardway, and I'll share with you. Whenever you want to save all of your kits & sounds to the plus drive, don't use slot 1 on the + drive, because when you do a factory reset, you will clear slot 1.

When you save everything into the + drive, it is only saving your patterns and kits (but not the ROM samples). The ROM samples must be saved into a sample bank. Each plus drive is linked to a sample bank, if it is not, you can set up the link. You have 128 + drive slots for kits & patterns & 128 sample banks for ROM samples.

After you clear your stuff a few times and get pissed off, you will figure it out... at least that's what I did

Cheers

PS... the MDUW is super fun, one of the funnest instruments I ever played with, you will love it You can make it whatever you want it to be, a freaked out EDM glitchy all in one groove box playing both the notes, beats and doing real time sampling or a simple xox drum machine in a larger setup.
Goomba
Thanks, DaCaVa -I'll check that. I thought I was in the +Drive, but I might not be.

Truth be told, I've been fighting some medical problems, resulting in about 2-3 hours of sleep per day. Finally this weekend they gave me some meds that have allowed me to sleep. Maybe on the mend? Dunno, but I hope so and I feel I can start giving the MD the proper attention it deserves and I'll actually be able to both focus on what I'm doing and retain any knowledge I gain! Yeah ... some fun ...

Again, thanks again for the info. I'll hit it tomorrow ... after I get my third good night's sleep in almost two months.
Goomba
Read the manual on Snapshots. SAVE YOUR SNAPSHOT FIRST BEFORE CHANGING.

Took me about 6 months to get to that. Still need to work out the song mode.
Go to top Post Reply