As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack or Machindrum UW (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack or Machindrum UW
Boo
Octatrack or Machindrum UW 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I had an Octatrack but wanted to get one again as I know have a bit more cash, however, I come from a sample based MPC back ground make trip hop, LA beat music like Lotus etc.

At the moment I was going to get one but wasn't sure if a machinedrum would be better, is it similar?
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Octatrack or Machindrum UW 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Octatrack, if you are into those type of beats
Goomba
If you're into Flying Lotus type stuff, OT all the way.
Boo
Cheers I remember at the time disliking the OT but only then when I sold it I missed it.

I wanted to ask too, is the manual better now explained?

Also is there a count down when recording live slices versus using the step mode if that makes sense.

Plus one thing I never understood was the fader, in basic terms can someone explain to me what benefits if I'm not DJing its used for?.
Goomba
tofu wrote:
Cheers I remember at the time disliking the OT but only then when I sold it I missed it.

I wanted to ask too, is the manual better now explained?

Also is there a count down when recording live slices versus using the step mode if that makes sense.

Plus one thing I never understood was the fader, in basic terms can someone explain to me what benefits if I'm not DJing its used for?.

The fader allows you to move between scenes. It is quite well explained in the manual.
Game & Watch
Yeah OT for sure for that style, the fader allows you to assign say different filter or delay settings to each side of the fader and interpolate between them, of course you can assign pretty much any parameter and many and on many tracks if you want, so for example your tidy funk groove can turn into post apocalyptic mush then back at the flick of the wrist etc.

It is definitely more than your Daddy's crossfader
Boo
Cheers, think going to take the plunge and get an OT again.

Did they ever expand on midi support so you can use a midi controller to play the slices?.
King Koopa
Octatrack
Nord Micro Modular
Shruthi-1
TX81Z
MPC1000
tofu wrote:
Cheers, think going to take the plunge and get an OT again.

Did they ever expand on midi support so you can use a midi controller to play the slices?.

You can:
- Select the start slice using a CC (though I heard this is kind of slow/janky)
- Use the slice trig mode and just play slices w/ the trig-keys MPC stylee
Go to top Post Reply