As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Avoid the sound cutting off when switching Snapshot on MD (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Avoid the sound cutting off when switching Snapshot on MD
Avoid the sound cutting off when switching Snapshot on MD 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi there,

Been using the MDUW for quite a while, and have used it live too.

I am probably missing something, but is there a way other than switching Snapshots when changing between songs that contain lots of samples?
And, more importantly, I find it quite annoying that the sound cuts off whenever you load a new Snapshot. Is there a way to prevent this from happening apart from using external delay units or other sound generators to bridge the gap?

Thanks!
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Re:Avoid the sound cutting off when switching Snapshot on MD 10 Years, 9 Months ago
The only workaround I've found is to compose a single snapshot's worth of patterns, but write them with the assumption that you will switch samplebanks at some point. Switching samplebanks can be done without stopping the sequencer.

So put all your patterns that use the samples in the first samplebank into (for example) A01-D16, then ones that use a second bank into E01-H16. Before performing the patterns in E-H, you'll have to menu dive in order to switch the samplebanks manually, but it's not difficult.

My one recommendation is: When you make the switchover, have a pattern running that uses only internal machines, unless you like the brief cacophony that will ensue otherwise
Re:Avoid the sound cutting off when switching Snapshot on MD 10 Years, 9 Months ago
dubathonic wrote:
The only workaround I've found is to compose a single snapshot's worth of patterns, but write them with the assumption that you will switch samplebanks at some point. Switching samplebanks can be done without stopping the sequencer.

So put all your patterns that use the samples in the first samplebank into (for example) A01-D16, then ones that use a second bank into E01-H16. Before performing the patterns in E-H, you'll have to menu dive in order to switch the samplebanks manually, but it's not difficult.

My one recommendation is: When you make the switchover, have a pattern running that uses only internal machines, unless you like the brief cacophony that will ensue otherwise

Thanks, that's very helpful.
So I'll have to change the tempo during switchover plus the kits, right? Since otherwise the patterns wouldn't know what to use where.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Errrr, possibly, though if you just transition to another pattern that you like playing at the same tempo as the previous it wouldn't matter, and the kits change anyway if you're in classic mode. I expect you know all that already though, so probably I'm not understanding your question.

All you really need to do is make sure (in my previous example) that you don't still have the first samplebank loaded when you perform the second group of patterns, or vice versa. I mean you might get some wild effects that way, but that's not what you're going for of course.
dubathonic wrote:
Errrr, possibly, though if you just transition to another pattern that you like playing at the same tempo as the previous it wouldn't matter, and the kits change anyway if you're in classic mode. I expect you know all that already though, so probably I'm not understanding your question.

All you really need to do is make sure (in my previous example) that you don't still have the first samplebank loaded when you perform the second group of patterns, or vice versa. I mean you might get some wild effects that way, but that's not what you're going for of course.

Thanks for the classic mode suggestion. Will work on re-programming a portion of my set and see how it goes. Cheers!
Go to top Post Reply