As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear to many synths, not enough input (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: to many synths, not enough input
King Koopa
to many synths, not enough input 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Does anyone have any recommendation for a good mixer to route my hardware synth ?
Unfortunately i don't have a big budget right now (new dad) and i am looking for something flexible like a 4 bus + aux so i can route my synths to the Octatrack or the daw for recording.

I understand most mixer only have mono aux send so its no good on stereo channel if i want to use an aux to feed the Octatrack. Is there any cheap line mixer that could to the job ?
I don't really need preamps and EQ to be honest, just a way to route my hardware synths without trouble without using the computer if i want to.

A patch bay would be cheaper i guess but i will need a bunch of cables anyway + the patchbay so i am not sure if its that much cheaper.

Thanks for any advice.

I have :

1-Elektron A4
2-Elektron Octatrack
3-Elektron Monomachine
4- Elektron Machinedrum
5- Korg ms20 mini
6- sq80
7- Creamware Noah
8- DSI tetra (probably going for sale)
9- Nord Modular G2

And i would like to use the input of the Octatrack and the Nord G2 for FX.
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Probably more gear than I need...
Re:to many synths, not enough input 10 Years, 9 Months ago
A mackie LM3204, the best hardware keyboard mixer in my opinion, and I'm not biased or anything because I have one for sale in the buy/sell/trade right now. really though, they are great every input is stereo, but can be used mono as well.
Cappy
While possibly limiting you could easily daisy chain your Quadrinity of Elektrons so that the A4, MnM, and MD go into OT inputs AB.

Audio:
MS20mini -> MnM -> MD -> A4 -> OT AB

MIDI OUT/THRU:
OT -> A4 THRU (A4 CV out to MS20) -> MnM THRU -> MD

Then create a similar daisy chain into your G2 Modular with the remaining gear. Depending on how you want to sync devices and chain.

Daisy chaining can be fun, maybe a bit of a head scratch at first but it does seem like your devices have enough external inputs to do it, leaving your OT as your master mixer device.

Good luck & Cheers,
Chad
King Koopa
skylab001 wrote:
A mackie LM3204, the best hardware keyboard mixer in my opinion, and I'm not biased or anything because I have one for sale in the buy/sell/trade right now. really though, they are great every input is stereo, but can be used mono as well.

Ho ! looks like what i need !
Too bad i'm in Canada ....
I guess its kinda heavy ? Would you ship it to Canada ?

Thanks for the suggestion .
King Koopa
Hey thanks for your suggestion.
Maybe i could try something like that.
But its not ideal for multitrack recording though its a great idea for live.
King Koopa
i had the same "problem" to find a mixer for my hardware gear. (MDUW mk2, OT, A4 + Kp3, Boss Re-20) but after some research i bought a midas venice u16. this mixer has all i nedd + 8x8 usb soundcard in midas quality (too bad midas isn't bulit in the uk anymore but they still sound awesome)
i have all my seperate outs from the MD on mono Channels on my mixer for direct dub action with the send fx
stereo out from md to a stero in on the mixer
OT and A4 stereo to the mixer
sometimes the a4 goes thru the Ot for some resampling
i like this way of working
Cappy
Probably more gear than I need...
I honestly don't remember it being that heavy, but it's lived in a rack in the studio the entire time I've had it. I would consider shipping it to Canada. PM me if you want to discuss it in more detail.
King Koopa
Re:to many synths, not enough input 10 Years, 8 Months ago
skylab001 wrote:
I honestly don't remember it being that heavy, but it's lived in a rack in the studio the entire time I've had it. I would consider shipping it to Canada. PM me if you want to discuss it in more detail.

Thanks skylab001, i was considering the Mackie but its not exactly what i am looking for finally.

I will probably pull the trigger for a second hand StudioLive 16.4.2 for 970 $.
I think its a really good price for a mixer with 16 channels / 6 aux and 4 sub with firewire.

Maybe its a little overkill for studio use but its the only thing i found in my price range
if i want flexible routing and im gonna be able to replace that maudio fast track ultra 8r.
I guess i could just use a sound card for 16 channels but its going to cost me about the same and a mouse is needed for routing stuff.

I will probably take it tonight but i have to think a little more about it.

thanks.
Game & Watch
some of the big mackie onyx will give you a lot of routing and better yet up to 16 recording channels via firewire

this is great to have it all mixed in hardware and then just record everything in a single take but still got independent tracks in your computer for further processing and mixing

I think that is you can stretch to ths budget it worth the extra money

the Allen & Heath Zed R16 is another excellent option...more expensive thought
King Koopa
Fixed my problem !!

I've bought a second hand absolutely mint Presonus LiveStudio 16.4.2 for 970 $

-6 aux (post and pre + can also be stereo linked for any channels) and 4 sub groups so i can route audio to my Octatrack, Nord G2 and A4 and ms20

-It sounds amazing TBH and the preamps are very nice.

-32-in/18-out FireWire is enough for me and there is plenty of routing option for all my gears.

-Its not too big and weight around 23 lbs so its kinda mobile.

-Lots of light, looks like a control panel from Nasa when its dark and i like that

-Converters are nice, anyway its better than my Maudio Fast track ultra 8R

- For the price i am very happy, the R16 looked amazing but its too costly for me unfortunately.

Anyway thanks for all the advice and no more synth for me, i have enough, don't need more gears, i am serious, no more synth ..... must resist and be strong. yep

cheers
Go to top Post Reply