As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music Robot Love! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Robot Love!
Robot Love! 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Today is my birthday, and it's been a bit since I've posted in here. I've been loving the music you guys have been posting. Here's my contribution. Thanks, all for the humbling sounds you've been posting.

Whaddya think?

I have fond memories of playing in a field and being humbled by an enormous moon. We played in its light all night until we were exhausted and I imagined what it would be like to primitively wonder about what in the heck the moon actually is. Here's some reflection.

https://soundcloud.com/robot-love/fieldslikethese
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Robot Love! 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Robot Love wrote:
Today is my birthday, and it's been a bit since I've posted in here. I've been loving the music you guys have been posting. Here's my contribution. Thanks, all for the humbling sounds you've been posting.

Whaddya think?

I have fond memories of playing in a field and being humbled by an enormous moon. We played in its light all night until we were exhausted and I imagined what it would be like to primitively wonder about what in the heck the moon actually is. Here's some reflection.

https://soundcloud.com/robot-love/fieldslikethese

Love it. Very warm groove. Happy B-Day.
Cappy
rather beautiful. very much! i like this
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb

sick track, man. great composition and sound design both. thanks for sharing.
Cappy
Fuck. This is really great. You should come play in Chicago.
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
your sounds are great always

I would love to know how to do those great rhythms and drum sound design
THANKS I'm so glad to hear you guys like it.

in terms of sound design, what did u have in mind? I'd be happy to share
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
Robot Love wrote:
in terms of sound design, what did u have in mind? I'd be happy to share

I don't know, I guess I say this because I feel like the percussion is what is lacking the most in my music, I tried recording stuff and using it for drums and FX, but it's hard to make it suit the song, and placing it on the right place, and takes a lot of time. Nothing specific; I guess with time I'll get better. (and the fact that I make all my music with the OT and MNM makes it harder too)

Out of curiosity, is the following similarity intentional? (check the first loops of the songs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3DqDQ5fMU
https://soundcloud.com/robot-love/iexplainafewthings

Don't get me wrong (I'm not judging nor implying anything), but it made me think that maybe I should "copy", or "imitate" other people's rhythms and grooves to try to get better; what do you think?

Cheers! and keep sharing your stuff
Oof, yes if i was making music using only the OT and MM it would be difficult to organize:

I've discovered that using wacky amounts of compression really helps when using samples: its easy to forget that the samples are recorded in generally less that perfect circumstances, and that traditional processing techniques don't work as you'd expect or that they rob the sample of its organic character! Sometimes a large amount will bring the levels in the sample to a point where it starts to breathe from the large volume changes.

Here's a basic rundown:

Operator kicks
A4 main 4(/4 kick

Found sound
Forest recordings (leaves, trees, rocks) by my friend joel friedman of BLDP/iZotope

A4 hats
Forest rec hats

The click clack clack percussion is forest recordings, processed

And one last thing: between my mixing chain and my mastering chain i have yet another compressor pushing the levels. Trial and error i suppose?

try finding sounds that aren't immediately obvious, sound which exist just under our level of everyday awareness.

Some things to try?

Books: ruffle pages, swipe slow/fast across pages edges, slam shut. Paperbacks= win, magazines have a crisper sound

Paper/foil, ruffle tear snap rip

Coins: flip drop roll spin rub together quietly near the mic

Cooking: make dinner and edit while eating! Win win

------

And as for the holden- i can that YES you are not mistaken. At the time, I had just heard him and I wanted to figure out what he was 'doing'. I just had to figure out what what going on there. In my opinion i missed the boat by a mile. His is warm and beautiful. Mine is more of a clicky thing. At the end of it, the project took a life of its own.

Hey, i think there's nothing wrong with imitation. Imitation is just a form of tradition, and i think cann help in learning, even when you don't nail it

The percussion part in this song? Years old, inspired by minimal nominal by 2drops. Go listen, you can hear it! I made a song and through the year i've played with it. Finally i found a home for it. I have 4/5 different tracks that were scrapped that included this part! It feels good to be rid of it. Hope this all helped-
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Robot Love wrote:

Found sound
Forest recordings (leaves, trees, rocks) by my friend joel friedman of BLDP/iZotope

NICE: why do mere field recordings, when you've got a whole forest to sample!!!

Love your music Mr. Robot. I can see how it's more difficult to create music like this using only OT/MnM sequencers.
Go to top Post Reply