As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT: recording 6 bar loop (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT: recording 6 bar loop
Cappy
OT: recording 6 bar loop 10 Years, 9 Months ago
realizing how little I know:

I'd like to record a 6 bar loop from my OP1 utilizing the fade in AND fade out in the recorder set up... I set my my OT to 3 bars in half resolution (equals 6 bars right?) and my recorder trig type to ONE

now here my rather diffuse question(s): if I set my recorder length to 48 steps the recorder stops too early (after 48 full resolution steps - in my case 1.5 bars) and if I set the recorder length to max it stops too late - i.e not doing the fade out I'm asking for. I know I can trim my sample now and do the fade out manually but kinda think I'm missing out on something substantial here.. how could i set a recorder outpoint or how would I get an exact 96 steps recording? how are the pros doing it? could anyone please give me a hand here? many thanks!
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:OT: recording 6 bar loop 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I've asked for a longer max than 64 steps too. The limit makes little sense now we've got dynamic flex ram to play with.
Cappy
thanks SMOKYFROG, I did hope I was missing out on something though.
even without the dynamic RAM one can easily record 8 bars with high-ish bpm
thanks again, cheers
Chain Chomp
I think they might do it. Got the impression it was just an oversight rather than one of their wacky philosophies
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
ah that be nice...

longer but still exact recordings, will make it easier to make sample-chains without a computer..
or the reverse, it will help me sample stuff without the need of using my recorder and wasting a cd..
Chain Chomp
Everything you own ends up owning you.
Yeah steps should be infinite really on recording, I really hope they update the setting, having to fanny about with dividers and multipliers is not the greatest of pass-times.
128 should be the minimum maximum if you see what I mean
Chain Chomp
I've asked for it numerous times.
Last time was before the latest OS release but they didn't do me this favour!!
Keep on asking for it guys. It definitely is a very stupid limitation.
Boo
Isn't that limitation (4 bars of 16) in all Elektron products?

In my mind, the Octatrack is a sampler first, with some effects and a sequencer added to the package. I don't ever consider the sequencer as a master/primary tool for sequencing stuff.

The current Elektron approach is to use song mode and chain sequences together and then figure out how to spread your stuff across the multiple sequences.
Chain Chomp
It's 4 bars of 16 until you run a track at half, quarter or 1/8th speed (32 bars). Very often I want to make just one sample of 128 steps.
Boo
oldgearguy wrote:
Isn't that limitation (4 bars of 16) in all Elektron products?

Yup, its also extremely annoying to some of us.

Whats the point of having the "MAX" setting in RLEN and manual and dynamic memory allocation, and scale multipliers if we should ONLY be using 64 steps per pattern, ever.

Sometimes I want to sample for 128 steps, does that not fit into the idea of what a modern sampler does? Especially one that uses a cf card and doesn't have the limitations of oldschool samplers or even the MDUW. If the philosophy of the OT was like the MDUW in terms of using that limitation as inspiration than sure, but the settings above point to loosening some of those limitations, at least a little.

Also in my mind the Octatrack is a sampler/sequencer first. In fact I would argue that the elektron ethos is of more integration of the sequencer in all their machines be they synths, drum machines, or samplers.

But I just downed an espresso and am feeling ranty. One love.
Go to top Post Reply