As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:If you Could Have just one Elektron which would it be? OPEN! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:If you Could Have just one Elektron which would it be? OPEN!
Re:If you Could Have just one Elektron which would it be? OPEN! 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Tarekith wrote:
MD would be my choice, still think it's the best all in one self-containted box Elektron has made. The OT can be more flexible, but there's still that issue of getting samples into it that requires a computer.

MDUW first choice, OT second one. In both cases, I'd take one of those little minidisc microphones
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Re:If you Could Have just one Elektron which would it be? OPEN! 10 Years, 10 Months ago
So - desert island scenario: - OT with empty card... standalone...

No way! If I have a cable to speakers or headphones, I can plug into the inputs and get some sound source - by touching the other end of the cable I have some electrical noise that is not silence. That is enough to store as a sample, from that I can make waveforms, use the comb filters, resample etc. Or even begin with silence and use the LFO designer trick to create waveforms.

When I started to make sounds I made my very early tracks by putting effects on sine waves and then doing a lot of cutting and pasting over and over in a 2 track audio editor. Of course this is tedious and difficult, but you can work from nothing. Give me a microphone and things will go a lot faster, though
Very nice
Chain Chomp
anigbrowl wrote:
So - desert island scenario: - OT with empty card... standalone...

No way! If I have a cable to speakers or headphones, I can plug into the inputs and get some sound source - by touching the other end of the cable I have some electrical noise that is not silence. That is enough to store as a sample, from that I can make waveforms, use the comb filters, resample etc. Or even begin with silence and use the LFO designer trick to create waveforms.

When I started to make sounds I made my very early tracks by putting effects on sine waves and then doing a lot of cutting and pasting over and over in a 2 track audio editor. Of course this is tedious and difficult, but you can work from nothing. Give me a microphone and things will go a lot faster, though

Smashing
thought someone would come up with this In fact I thought some clever clogs would realize even if you had a pair of headphones you're good... ever done the "use headphones as a basic microphone" trick ?

Still - I disagree. Sampling is for the weak. MONOMACHINE WINS !

Tough question. I would choose either the TM-1 or the plastic protection lid

...no. My experience with my MD and MNM is that I get the most out of them by focusing only on one at a time. So...just choose one...but only one!
Chain Chomp
Ok. Mixed opinions great. But going back to the OP is the Monomachine really the best choice for Detroit type Techno. I know it can do it, but is it the wisest choice of all the machines.
^

yeah - it's a good & fair point Neil. Speaking purely personally, ( seriously now ) it'd still be Monomachine for me. I had pattern after pattern of 313 area code type action in mine...nothing else being used as for a while I did just have a MnM...& techno is what I do, in the main.

However, that's just me. And the MnM can be a bit of a 'Marmite' instrument - obviously I'm in the 'love it' camp.
I can see that for a lot of folks you're going to be probably happiest with the OT for this application : some decent samples in & you'll be flying.
Game & Watch
Thinking about this thread I spontaneously started to sing
'I don't want any other synth, when I think about her I wet my pants' to the Divinyls classic.
Her is the Monomachine in this particular instance.

Off the record, my 11 year old son officialy declared me being a nerd recently because I'm always rolling the chord of my cell phone's power supply in the same way

All this being said, Monomachine only might not be the best option for Detroit type techno (whatever this may be...).
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
HouseWarez wrote:
I'm very interested in playing Detroit Type Techno.
It might help you to take a slightly different approach here, because probably any of the MDUW, OT or MnM could get you a long way (I don't know the A4). Each can do a great deal and they overlap in capabilities. So maybe ask yourself two sets of questions:

What kind of sound are you chasing? Yes Detroit, but rougher, cleaner? How emphatically melodic? How dependent on vocal samples? How many lines do you hear in your head? Think about this from the perspective of the number of tracks each Elektron offers, and how each can be used in terms of sound creation vs. dedicated FX processing.

What's the main element of your preferred work style? Do you typically begin sketching a track with a particular element like a melodic loop, a bassline, a top rhythm, etc.? Do you enjoy percussion sound design, exploring drum interplay and tone stacking? the types of synthesis the MnM offers? auditioning and tweaking sampled hits and stems? Could you live without the MD's CTR machines, or do you find yourself wanting even more control using fewer tweaks? Do you find yourself wishing for multiple independent FX processors, or are the MD's master FX enough for you?

...questions only you can answer, but hope it helps
Go to top Post Reply