As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear DIY small microphone for OT? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: DIY small microphone for OT?
DIY small microphone for OT? 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hey guys,

Lately I've had a lot of fun using my Octatrack with a battery composing in the hammock. But I miss being able quickly record my own voice or sounds around me. Therefore I am thinking about building/buying a small microphone an attaching it to the OT.

I am thinking of something like this.

Has any of you tried to built something like that, or is it possible to buy something similar? What would you recommend?

Cheers,
Nikolaj
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:DIY small microphone for OT? 10 Years, 9 Months ago
The only issue I can see is the line level inputs on the OT. You'd need a preamp, too, most-likely.

Myself, I use a Zoom H2n (field recorder) since I already own it, it's pretty small, and has a 20 hour battery life. And a headphone out I can plug into the OT with a 3.5mm (1/8") to 6.3mm (1/4")

Or a smartphone if you don't mind the lo-fo mic feel

Though I suppose you could indeed construct a low-power preamp and mic into one little enclosure, nothing fancy.
Boo
I've had a lot of fun using my Octatrack with a battery
wow! would you elaborate on the battery? I always pondered taking my OT camping
King Koopa
Octatrack
Nord Micro Modular
Shruthi-1
TX81Z
MPC1000
I've got a Zoom H1 I got for 100 USD. Officially it's a portable stereo recorder but it's got lots of other nice functions. One of these is that when it's not playing back anything and you have something plugged into the headphone jack, it monitors the inputs (which are the built in mics when nothing is plugged in) through the headphone jack. So you can use it as a battery powered stereo mic + preamp in one.

I keep meaning to use it as a live input to the OT but haven't tried it yet. Anyway, I like it a lot and I would recommend it for this purpose for sure.
Goomba
ntothe wrote:
I've had a lot of fun using my Octatrack with a battery
wow! would you elaborate on the battery? I always pondered taking my OT camping

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&catid=9&id=144161#144161

All you really need is an external laptop battery capable of outputting 6V DC and the right connector.
Go to top Post Reply