As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Absence makes the heart grow fonder.... (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Absence makes the heart grow fonder....
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.... 10 Years, 10 Months ago
.. and forces you to work in different ways..

So my Monomachine has been getting a little repair back at HQ for a bit (but on it way back now, yay!).

During this time I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to work in a way that I deemed adequate since the mono does most of my melodic content, bass, etc..

Well it was actually kind of a blessing in disguise! I stripped away a lot of my habits and sort of simplified my process and started working in a way that was even quicker. Any mono owners know you can get kind of lost a bit in the programming.

This new stuff seems less fussy and more direct and I'm writing tracks that are shorter. My tracks tend to be rather long usually.

I started doing my bass in a very simple manner from my Juno 60 triggering the arpeggio with very simple cyclical baselines. UGH, such good bass. I kind of forgot!

And also instead of sequencing melodic lines I have been doing live played overdubs.

Now it'll be just an matter of translating this stuff into the Mono for the live set, which I think will also be an interesting exercise in programming.

Anybody else have one of these moments happen where a bad thing becomes a opening up of your process?

I think the key here is to not get stuck in a particular way of working or gear setup and to switch it up from time to time even though this may seem daunting.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:Absence makes the heart grow fonder.... 10 Years, 10 Months ago
yeah, of course this limitations always leads to new and fresh results
forcing yourself to find another way is always the key to get new and uncommon stuff for your sound and music

of course there is a risk of you don´t match your new workflow and production get down until you get your tools back

I remember how much stuff I did in the past with just an old sp-12 turbo, a polysix and a boss delay pedal...5 seconds of mono sampling, no midi and the simplest delay on earth...no sync, not even tap tempo...but I have hours of wonderful stuff recorded from this era (circa 1996)

At the time I synced the polysix with the SP-12 using the SP´s metronome output...by selecting different time divisions I ended with different sequences...but then I started to use some of the SP´s individual outs so I can programmed non-linear clocks to the Polysix´s arpeggiator...and this was amazing! even with such simple arpeggio modes you can get lot of different stuff that sounds much more complex and interesting

Last but not least: I remember putting the delay pedal in the middle of the clock cable and this made the polysix went crazy!...some delays works as clocks but others (lower volume ones) seems to triggers the note but with a lower filter cutoff value!

just try this with your juno, maybe it works the same way or you find something new

cheers
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
Re:Absence makes the heart grow fonder.... 10 Years, 10 Months ago
OH WOW.

I need to try the delay in line on the trigger clock!

I can't believe I never thought of that. Now it gets me thinking of other crazy stuff you could put in there.

I trigger the juno via my 606 so it's basically rock solid. Before I had the 606 I would trig it with the MD rimshot and sometimes it wouldn't be the exact right signal for trigs and it sounded actually kind of cool, almost like a arpeggio flam (for lack of a better term).

Really would like an SP12. Do you still have yours?
Go to top Post Reply