As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 10 Years, 11 Months ago
vvd wrote:
I've hacked some (rather ugly) bash scripts together ... but they can create evenly spaced (sample accurate) sample chains (so all you have to do is to apply a 8,16, .., 64 grid in the OT). If you're interested in the script let me know...

Bash scripts? Do they run on OSX?
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:[OT] 64 Hit Samples for cutting up in OT - Post your own 10 Years, 11 Months ago
vvd, firstly, many thanks for the sample chain pack ... i really dig a lot of those sounds ... and there are so many of them ... in sample chains ... !

well if this isn't a clear and present reason to at last arrive at an understanding and samplechain applicable quest achievement, i don't know what is.

so ... hurrah for vvd and his script adventures.

i would like to utilise the scripts.. i guess they get copy paste onto a console window somewhere, and a collection of 16, 32 or 64 oneshot samples get placed in a folder,
then press return, and hey presto, samplechain reality just became ten times cheaper in time.

magnificent.

i applaud you.

i celebrate your innate oneness with The Elektron Within The Octatrack.

my guess is, this requires windows? if so, i wonder if it would be okay to use Windows 7 within Parallels (pc emulator) on Osx. most likely would be okay, as Parallels is a true emulation, and it is a regular windows 7 install within that.

thanks again!
sicijk wrote:
Thanks VVD ...!
If there is a way to create quickly sample chains i would be a strong supporter !

P.S. there's a groove in 64_kick-short_01.wav chain ! Nice...

I work with Reaper and I know it can do a whole bunch of stuff and maybe do something like this to. It supports all kinds of actions and it automatically converts all file formats. If can also do batch processing and maybe supports some kind of scripting. Perhaps I can drop a question on the Reaper forum if it's possible.
But a dedicated program like PREVIEWLOUNGE suggested would be much better off course
Game & Watch
You can drag 64 samples to drop on a Reaper track and then turn on snap to grid and space them out. Should take a second or two per hit. Script would be great though! Would love to hear what the Reaper bigwigs have to say on it.

Another thing I just thought of is you can set up markers, such as 1 through 8 on, say, 8 tracks. Then copy, type 1 to fly to marker 1, paste, and repeat. Once you fill up all 8 tracks you could use shift copy to paste them all to one big track.

Hmm, another thing would be to use SOX to concatenate them all to one file, use Reaper to autoslice the big file at the transients, and then have Reaper quantize the slices to the grid.
King Koopa
script would be cool for sure, veets is right that it's easy enough to make chains in a DAW though. I just see how long the longest sample in the chain is (e.g., that flabby 808 kick), set the grid in ableton's arrange view to accommodate that, and then drop the rest on the grid points. you can even drag multiple files onto the grid at a time and they'll all sit right on the grid. just make sure you render to the end of the grid, not just the end of the final sample.
vvd
Cappy
Thanks for the flowers! The nice thing about using a script is that it does the hard work for you. I have a lot of drum samples (thousands) and using a DAW to create chains from them is tedious (at best).
Using the scripts it's just a matter of running the script. It will automatically pad or trim (even fade, downsample, normalize etc) the samples and join them into a chain.

The script will work on OSX and Linux (even on windows, but you will have to install a shell invironment first (cygwin, msys)). Just make sure that you have sox and bc installed (for OSX I recommend homebrew (http://mxcl.github.io/homebrew/) to install sox and bc).

I will upload the scripts to the file section once I've cleaned them up and added some hints on how to use them.
vvd
Cappy
Game & Watch
oh cool, so this is like a mac thing, fantastic.

after such a long time of carefully avoiding sample chains,
this is a rather momentous occasion for me.

super keen to sequence some uber funk patterns with one shots from the chains,
and then assign LFO's to randomly select slice start points as the sequence plays.

cheers for the script-writing and the subsequent share
i better get started on the homebrew (installer, that is )
vvd
Cappy
You'll need to install Xcode (free in the App Store) for homebrew being able to do it's job. It will install all kind of development files, like compilers and stuff. Just make sure to enable the install of the GNU utilities for command line development when you install Xcode (it will ask you, just don't say no).

UPDATE: See next post if you want to skip Xcode and homebrew to install sox.
Go to top Post Reply