As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else?
Re:OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
We are talking about the Flex Format options in the Memory menu.

From page 39 of the manual:

FLEX FORMAT controls what bit depth samples will be in when loaded to the Flex sample slot list. Samples loaded to the Static slot list are unaffected by this setting. Two settings exist.

• 24-BIT will retain the bit depth of 24-bit samples when they are loaded. 16-bit samples will still be in 16-bit.

• 16-BIT will convert 24-bit samples to 16-bit samples when loaded, meaning samples will occupy less Flex RAM memory at the cost of reduced bit depth. If a sample is saved when this setting is active, it will be saved as a 16 bit sam- ple no matter the original bit depth. If a 24-bit sample is saved a prompt will appear informing it will be saved as a 16-bit sample.

Would be cool if there was the option for 12-BIT and 8-Bit as well...
  The topic has been locked.
Re:OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Like I speculated, based on that quote out of the manual, it would seem that any sample loaded as 8 or 12 bit would occupy the same amount of resource (if it was implemented) as a 16 bit sample. Therefore no sample memory saving.

LOFI effect.
neilbaldwin wrote:
Like I speculated, based on that quote out of the manual, it would seem that any sample loaded as 8 or 12 bit would occupy the same amount of resource (if it was implemented) as a 16 bit sample. Therefore no sample memory saving.

LOFI effect.

BUT... if samples could be converted to 12BIT to begin with this would save having to use the LOFI effect on individual tracks... I already wish I could use more effects on each track, especially since I use a nearly always use a filter. Saving memory is not really that big a deal, I just thought it might be an added benefit.

Ideally I could set the OT to 12BIT mode (or 8BIT mode), load samples into the flex pool at 12 BIT so they are nice and crunchy, then still have two effects slots per track to work with...
Go to top Post Reply