As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else?
King Koopa
www.exuviae-music.com

Current band members: Octatrack, A4, Ultranova
OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Title says it all.

MD has a really nice 12 bit sound and can go even lower on the recorders...why not the OT?

discuss
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? 10 Years, 10 Months ago
bit rate reduction can be done through the lo-fi effect, you can reduce the sample rate too if you like
Re:OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Just found this thread as its something I've been thinking about lately. I would love the option to load samples into the slot list in 12 bit and 8 bit.

Would be a great way to add some extra crunch to samples as well as freeing up some more sample time...
Re:OT: I wish for sample rates lower than 16bit - anyone else? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
LOFI effect: has both sample and bit rate reduction. Flexible, versatile and p-lockable.

You could, in theory, pre-process a sample as it loads to make it 8-bit (or whatever) by dividing each sample by 256 (in the case of a 16-bit to 8-bit). This would quantise the sample to 8-bits. The problem is that the OTs data handling and sample playback (most likely governed by the DSP) will be based on 16 (or more likely 32) bit design. Therefore your pre-processed quantized sample would still load as 16 bit data, thus not actually saving you any sample memory.

In that case, the pre-process is redundant because that's what the LOFI effect does.
Boo
It's not really the same though is it?

I love the sound of loading samples into the MD UW, I often make whole tracks with it. Sounds a lot better than just adding the LoFi effect to a master track in the OT...
Goomba
That's why I still love my MDUW. The grit on some samples is something else in comparison.
sausmatoe wrote:
It's not really the same though is it?

I love the sound of loading samples into the MD UW, I often make whole tracks with it. Sounds a lot better than just adding the LoFi effect to a master track in the OT...

For what you're trying to achieve, the master track is probably not the best place for the LOFI effect.
Cappy
For the record, the term is "dit depth," not "bit rate."
King Koopa
I agree with you... but the OT parameter is called bit rate reduction! are we missing something?
Go to top Post Reply