As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Bay Area Elektron meet (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Bay Area Elektron meet
Goomba
Need more music equipment!
Re:Bay Area Elektron meet 10 Years, 11 Months ago
I am living in Walnut Creek, CA. Would love to take the boyz (A4, MD, MM) out for a road trip.
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Count me in as well. I live in Pacifica.
Cappy
I live in Oakland-count me in
Goomba
sounds like on the right weekend we be 15 or so strong.

Question is where and when?

Atlas5
Goomba
Hey, I'm down in Menlo Park but I would drive up for sure.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Yikes, this is turning into quite a lot of people! I was thinking the end of the month but I am revising my plans for the venue based on the numbers. Hopefully I'll have a couple of possibilities by the weekend...
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
So, with 12-15 people interested I was thinking that Robot Speaks might not be the ideal venue given the small size and other factors (I don't think that he had a very good relationship with the Elektron distributor...). I know two other people who don't read/post here regularly who would probably come too.

Anyway, one possibility is that the Guitar Center in Emeryville has rehearsal rooms and they're not very expensive, like large rooms start at $36 for a 2 hour rental, and they have a PA as well as drum kits, amps, mics and so on (sampling session anyone?!), as well as free room recording for any jam sessions. So if a bunch of us threw in $5 each, we could have the place for a long afternoon, and after that there's bars and places to eat within walking distance.

There's also plenty of parking around there, and for those who take public transport there's a free shuttle buss that runs from the Macarthur BART station about every 15 minutes and takes only about 10 minutes. So I'm going to go check it out tomorrow and if they're not lying about the room being a decent size I could just book it with my credit card during the week. My only sticking point (and it's not a very big one) is that I don't think the rooms come with a table so it might mean balancing your box in your lap or setting up on the floor. I think it's OK to bring in bottled water or whatever as long as the room doesn't get trashed, I'll check.

Does this sound like a good idea? I'm not the biggest fan of Guitar Center but this seems like an easy way for people to do some performance/ show'n'tell/ jam sessions without technical hassles or pissing off other customers in a social setting like a coffee shop.

I'm definitely open to other suggestions, as I'm not an expert organizer and I hadn't anticipated so many people to respond. When I first suggested it I was thinking of just having a barbecue party followed by a synth jam in my backyard while my wife went to visit a friend or something
Goomba
I think this is a great idea. I've been to this Guitar Center and visited the rooms you speak of.

I'd gladly pay $5 to $10 for a night out with fellow Elektron owners.

I am pretty booked up for June, July would be better for me.

I would bring the A4, MnM, MD.

This sounds like fun, sorry but I am getting excited, so excited!

I could most likely bring in a table or two from work, which is near by.
Goomba
Hey, I think splitting a rehearsal room at Guitar Center would be great, especially for ease of use for the first go. I would still check with Robotspeak, I know he doesn't deal with Elektron anymore but he's a pretty reasonable guy and I'm sure always game to rent out his space for the right price...it would be a bit snug but he has all of the equipment we need to plug in a bunch of stuff. In fact, I was just up there for a show recently and I'll give him a call to see if he's game. In the future I would consider hosting but I'm just getting settled into my place down here.
Cappy
I work at Avid in Daly City. There is a small studio there. It could probably accomodate no more that 10 people. Good sound. Nice Pro Tools setup for recording if we want to. And it would be free.

Just thought I'd offer that up if Guitar Center or Robot Speak doesn't work out.

-M
Go to top Post Reply