As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Analog Four sub-bass (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Analog Four sub-bass
Cappy
Re:Analog Four sub-bass 10 Years, 10 Months ago
anything to do with your performance macro setup? (and mine? maybe we havent changed them from a default setting, where filter one has been changed?)
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
to make matters even weirder - press [perf] twice and turn T1,2,3,4,FX all the way up.

now I can hear NOISE all the way down, but no resonance?

edit* i dont have noise turned up, but I can hear background noise which tunes all the way down....

odd, man, youre right about the bass thing
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
I don't think it's a performance macro issue, as I recently did an empty reset so as to force myself to build a library of A4 patches - so right now I have about 12 patches and only 1 kit, and the only macro I have set for controlling filter 2 on a different channel.

Actually, I may back up my patches and install the library ones to do some more comparison.
Cappy
well im still on the library patches..

when youve done what I said, above, 2nd PERF page turn all T1,T2 etc up, now turn filter 1 down till it disappears (about 87 for me) .. when you turn the volume up loud (watch your ears) and still tune the filter down can you hear some background noise like me? which is tunable all the way down to 20hz?

anyway im off to bed now but i'll catch up on this tomorrow.. but I cant see any reason why the filter 1 does shouldn't be self oscillating all the way down.. filt2 does it well enough..
Chain Chomp
Yeah, filter one isn't something I use for bass.

Turn off the oscs, set filter 2 at high pass, crank the res.

now the weird/ important part is to bring up the frequency up until you hear screaming, then down until you have bass. Place c-2 trigs on 1, 5, 9, 13 You should be able to get a solid thump going. From there try adding in a sub OSC, positive distortion, set an osc to left or right with nothing going in and crank it, etc.

If you lose the bass by bringing filter2s frequency too high, just lower it.
Game & Watch
i remember anselmi shared some cool tips for a4 bass duties, sound sculpting. Veets may well have placed this cool info in the OT tips manual, if there is such a thing..
Chain Chomp
@ anigbrowl
I mean, I agree with what you wrote about filter 1 and all that, I just don't find filter 2 to be lacking in volume when used for bass. I have my a4 going into the OT and my mixer, and the good thing about the OT is I can lower the input volume as it clips my mixer if I don't roll some low end off!

The a4 is seems to me more suited for kicks, but try messing with the sustain and attack on the envelopes for sub bass sounds? I found that putting the attack too high make it take too long to glide in, but a little lower it gives a nice rolling bass.
Hammer Bro
Soundcloud
I guess it's partly about expectations...but I can get about 9-12db more of (very clean) sub than I can from the A4 going by the meters on my analog limiter. As well as hearing it I can see the difference just by looking at my speaker cones. I like what Filter 2 is doing, I just want more of it.

What i really don't get is why Filter 1 sounds so much weaker and doesn't self-oscillate at lower values. It seems to just fade out at about 6000Hz, which is not like any other LP filter I've ever used.
Game & Watch
previewlounge wrote:
i remember anselmi shared some cool tips for a4 bass duties, sound sculpting. Veets may well have placed this cool info in the OT tips manual, if there is such a thing..

yep, I was in the same place about the A4 bass capabilities and after some research I finally got it sound much closer to a classic analog bass synth

this is what I found
http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&catid=9&id=209098

and here´s some sound examples of this technique
https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-03
https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-dub
https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-06
https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/a4-05
Hammer Bro
Soundcloud
Link is broken...the forum post Anselmi's referring to is here.
Go to top Post Reply