As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Best desktop polysynth for Elektron for the money: (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Best desktop polysynth for Elektron for the money:
Boo
Best desktop polysynth for Elektron for the money: 10 Years, 11 Months ago
I'm considering a few different desktops to play using the user mode with my Ableton push or another controller and syncing to my Elektron chain (A4-CV outs to MI Anushri, MDUWMKII, soon to be OT):

Tetra 4: Seeing them on CL for around $600

Local guy selling a Blofeld for $350 on CL

Scanning for a TI Polar, but not sure if it's worth it and the Virus sound had been done to death.

Mutable Instruments Shuthri ($375 assembled and modded with extra filter and CV in/out)

Mutable Instruments Ambika ($1,100 assembled)

MnM (you can rig that to be a Polysynth, right?)

Any other suggestions: I'm willing to go vintage, 2x chain, or a rack- whatever. Just some playable leads, quick "noodles" and some nice FX drenched chords/strings are kind of a missing sonic element here separating my hardware setup from being all knobs and sequencers.

I guess I can throw my computer out the window (nod to LCD Soundsystem there...) after all this comes together.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:Best desktop polysynth for Elektron for the money: 10 Years, 11 Months ago
I'd add the Nord Lead 2X to that list. Great quality. A safe bet.
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
Thumbs up to the Tetr4. I'm using it as my desktop poly when I don't use the big boards and for my live rig.

There's some of 80/90's digital polys in desktop format too if you want to go that way that are very inexpensive.
Chain Chomp
Check out Jogging House at
soundcloud
tumblr
bandcamp
facebook
Ambika.

You can do a lot with it and MI is an awesome company with a great user base. Definitely worth the money.
Chain Chomp
http://venndiagram.ca
Maschine
Monomachine SFX60+ Mk II
Machine SPS1-UW
Analog Four
Octoatrack
Nord Modular G1
Evolver
Korg Z1
Spectralis 2
Loads of options -

Tetra,
Blofeld
Novation Nova (with the last OS - makes it pretty much a 16 voice Supernova) -This is what I use as a desktop poly expander.
Nord Lead Rack
Yamaha TG33 - far better than you'd think (poor mans wave station)
Yamaha DX200 or AN200
Something like an older Roland JV Rack or 1010
Roland SH-32
Older model Access Virus
Korg MS2000

Good places to start IMHO
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
I also will vouch for the TG33. Great pad machine. Unique sound. Especially great when layered with something more analog-ish.
Game & Watch
a nicely well-kept vintage korg Prophecy, perhaps? just a thought ...
Boo
I would strongly recommend the Blofeld. It's synth engine is... elaborate and the interface is quite good.
Chain Chomp
Keep in mind the Shruthi is mono.

I have an older Indigo 2. I wouldn't say it's overplayed. It's a VA but I think it has a wide palette with the modulation routing and lots of voices. I'm planning to somehow trade for a prophet 600 though.
Game & Watch
'elaborate' - i like the sound of that descriptive word ... intriguing.

i still have no idea what the blofeld is, after all these years of reading the name.

okay, sound-wise, would, say for example Left Field have considered using one on their breakout mid 90's record?

sometimes i wonder what synth they used on the hit radio song 'you're original, " etc etc.

maybe it was a Prophet?
[not refering to the korg Prophecy which is a different synth].

after being shown the Prophecy by two owners over the years, i have always been impressed by the synth's ability to create incredibly intricate and cool soundsphere's, for want of a better word.

first met the Prophecy in Melbourne, in '98, by way of jamming with a psy trance producer art pal and then once again in 2006 by a progressive dj who said i could borrow the Prophecy if i bought a power adapter for it. the Ribbon controller also works in quite nicely with the ability to design multi-layer sounds that sound almost impossible to make in a synth that is supposedly monophonic.

monophonic the Prophecy may be, but it is multi layered, and would yield many treasures in the right hands.

as far as i remember, the Prophecy also does nice bass and cool lead sounds.
Go to top Post Reply