As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Octatrack other gear (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack other gear
Goomba
Octatrack other gear 10 Years, 11 Months ago
I, recently got me an octatrack., great piece of kit although my new in the box machine arrived with scratches on the screen but that's another story.

I, would like some advice on another piece of kit to compliment the octa because i feel slightly limited by the 8 track sometimes but not all the time. I have a virus b synth also. Sgould i get one of those electribe samplers? or some thing else any help would be great thanks.
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
Re:Octatrack other gear 10 Years, 11 Months ago
Ml72 wrote:
I, recently got me an octatrack., great piece of kit although my new in the box machine arrived with scratches on the screen but that's another story.

I, would like some advice on another piece of kit to compliment the octa because i feel slightly limited by the 8 track sometimes but not all the time. I have a virus b synth also. Sgould i get one of those electribe samplers? or some thing else any help would be great thanks.

I have good news.. 9 out of 10 people who complain about a scratched
lcd on a new unit, cant see the protective film on it... its stuck on so good
that its almost invisible, though it "scratches easy"..

I got one of those elektribe-samplers.. they fun.. but.. the machinedrum is more fun..
(and allot more expensive) ..
if I may.. the octatrack inputs can be configured to be mono inputs.
So if you connect a simple sequencer-less drumbox, a simple bass-synth.. a lead-synth and something like a vocoder.. connect them all via midi.. and use the octatracks sequencer to control them, and use the octatrack to mix/sample/mangle ..

the less sequencers/complicated machines you got.. the easier it gets just to jam out and have fun..
King Koopa
mrsurga.tumblr.com
Have you removed the screen protector? The protector can be scratched but the screen underneath is most likely pristine.

As for the other gear... can't make that choice for you
For the past year and a half I used my OT with an Electribe, a piano, an iPad, a Nord, a Machinedrum, jammed my friend playing his Virus, had fun with acoustic musicians... There are just too many opportunities !

(OT on the drums + Virus on the synths is a very powerful combo)
Goomba
Thanks! You are right, it is a protective cover on the screen.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
OT is great on the drums, but it's also so good on synth sounds that I got annoyed with my Virus (not fat enough) and bought an Analog 4 instead

Consider a drum machine but on that's about the sound rather than sequencing, eg a Novation drumstation or an xbase 09 or something from MFB.
Boo
I, would like some advice on another piece of kit to compliment the octa because i feel slightly limited by the 8 track sometimes but not all the time.

i seriously know what you mean (been a fan of over the top DAW multichannel polyphonic extravaganza all my life) but recently, thanks to the OT, i found out self imposed limitations can work wonders

anyway: personally I most often feed the OT with a turntable, an electribe SX, an Analog 4, a vermona DRM mk3 and an OP1 hooked through a mini mixer so the two input pairs on the OT are enough.

but after doing two 12"s using the OT as the centerpiece I'd say the korg electribe would be the first choice. it's a no brainer when you look at the specs: at a decent cost you get a machine that has nice drums, synths, stabs, memory to sample custom ones and an almost knob per function interface = lots and lots of tweakability and hands on manipulation (but forget the onboard effects). just invest in better tubes and it's a reeeeeeally rewarding combo with the OT!
Goomba
If I were you I would get Mach Five 3...and enjoy all of the types of sounds the hardware suggested can provide. its a syth and a sampler with dope effects. basically adding this gives you 8 more tracks of samples on the OT (using the midi tracks to contol M53). And you can use all of the UVI stuff.

obviously this is rubbish if you don't have a computer with decant RAM.

No OT yet but I'm using M53 and a Fantom-S...the OT is the missing link. I don't want to arrange on the PC any longer just record and EQ.
Go to top Post Reply