As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge harder than you think... (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: harder than you think...
Game & Watch
harder than you think... 10 Years, 11 Months ago
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:harder than you think... 10 Years, 11 Months ago
hahaha.

I Know the real thing is all about the tuned Ringmod, but whatchya thing of the pitch shifting? expression input is pretty brilliant.
Haha great post Daniel!
EHX are the ones that brought me down to the stompboxes locura, if you want to know

Since you recommended this OD to the EUser who wnated to distort his MD, I'm even more curious about this one. I have the Germanium 4 which is kind of cool since it combines two stages, an overdrive and a distorsion. The overdrive, BTW, is great for giving some weight to -say- a Nord Lead.

And the Ring Thing... I had been wanting one badly, bought one, used it a couple o times but it still does not have its own place.

Congrats
Game & Watch
the germanium OD is easily one of the best I used with synths...highly recomended
I got this plus a fuzz factory clone and the LPB2ube...the germanium OD sits well between the creaminess of the LPB and the wild and ripping tones of the fuzz factory

the ring thing: well, I was in exactly the same place as stiiiiive, wantid one for such a long time...then I saw one, ask a couple users that recomended it and just pulled the trigger

it´s not inmediate for sure and the tone is not pristine as I expected but when mixed with the original source you got a lot of different sounds

the atonal range of them is wider than I expected too...before I got it I misunderstood the "tune" function, thinking that the pedal actually tracks the input signal continously, with a defined coarse and fine frequency offset to make it more or less in tune in a controlled way

instead of this you just set the initial note for the modulator and then got frequency deviationas as long as you go far away from it...not a bad thing if you like mostly atonal stuff with about 2 notes per octave that seems to be tuned

so, the tune function just speed up what you can do with your hands, tuning the internal modulator by ear by turning the coarse and fine frequency knobs...move them a little and the modulator frequency value jump to the actual position of them

also: if you hold the tune button you get the continous tracking BUT not the so important offset knobs that makes ring modulation sonically interesting...you know, when the modulator is 1 or more octaves away from the carrier and/or a little detuned

I think EHX is promoting this function wrong...I revisit the videos and also the manual and all of them leads you to think the pedal actually tracks the input signal continously...

anyway if you use an external modulator you can did it without problem but you need more gear patched it and the fun/inmediacy factor is lowered for sure

I got some interesting results by using the minibrute pitch CV out to control the frequency of the modulator. It´s not a 1v/oct perfect tracking but much better than just tune 1 note, and you got the so important offset function to find the righ spot

the pitch shifting function is kinda dirty sounding but works well as octaver and detuner...I don´t tried it with chords yet

I found that simple FM tones from the OP-1 really shine when you RM them, even with the most atonal settings...just dial the righ dry/wet ratio and you got a more organic sound out of the cleanest OP-1 tones...works best with lower modulator frequencies

the tremolo settings are also great for some stuff

the presets are another good feature to be used as starting points...they´re great time savers when you´re trying to recall a very specific setting...with so many functions this is a good thing to have at hand

so I got a bit dissapointed at the first time but now I´m starting to get more and more good stuff from it so I think I´ll keep it for some time to see what more could I get from it
Yeah I understand all of that.

The pitchshifting is working with chords, alla POG. To me, it shines when mixed with the original signal, just as the POG. I think you are not into guitars, but if I'm wrong, try a +1 octave setting with a bit of modulation with crunch settings or slight overdive at the amp
Game & Watch
stiiiiiiive wrote:

The pitchshifting is working with chords, alla POG. To me, it shines when mixed with the original signal, just as the POG. I think you are not into guitars, but if I'm wrong, try a +1 octave setting with a bit of modulation with crunch settings or slight overdive at the amp

you´re right, I can´t play guitar myself
Chain Chomp
Yeah I have this problem with like everything......
JES
King Koopa
I know the feeling. My stompbox drawer is full, and I'd sworn them off. But I had to get one more--EHX Superego. It goes very well with the OT.
anselmi wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:

you´re right, I can´t play guitar myself

Works great with Wurly too
Go to top Post Reply