As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD bricked
Admin
Re:MD bricked 10 Years, 11 Months ago
Sorry to hear this Mr Piksuhl!

I'm curious as to how old your MD is. Is it a mk1 or mk2?

My mk1 is 12 (twelve) years old. This brings up the question of how long Elektron will be able to support their products in general. The main reason that Elektron went mk2 was parts availability - the parts used in the mk1s were becoming unavailable. That's a few years ago now, so maybe those old parts are becoming really rare, which might explain the high prices. Though $1400 really is horrendous !

If it costs this much to repair any mk1 with a broken main board....
  The topic has been locked.
Nils wrote:
Sorry to hear this Mr Piksuhl!

I'm curious as to how old your MD is. Is it a mk1 or mk2?

his is a SPS-1 MKII UW+
Admin
ignatius wrote:
his is a SPS-1 MKII UW+

Sorry, I missed that. $1400 seems unreasonable to say the least.
I'm curious about Elektron's reply.
tIB
Boo
If I remember right the plus drive was announced in march '10, Im not sure if they rolled out right away but it's likely that it will still be in warranty. 1400$ is ridiculous, though it isnt the first time Ive heard customers asked to pay silly ammounts for a main board.
Goomba
ignatius wrote:
any news here? wondering if this has been resolved?????

Hey ignatius,
Well the latest news is that HQ have agreed to have the MD shipped back. I just need to pick the thing up from the local repairer and ship it off the Sweden. In terms of warranty I am not hopeful, worst case scenario is that it becomes spare parts, which is slightly more responsible than the watery grave I had planned

Thanks for the ongoing interest, I'll let everyone know how this turns out.
Goomba
Hey Nils,
I have also had a mk1 from the beginning with no issues to date. It's funny that it is a mk2 that has caused me so many problems (ah the lure of UW was too much I'm afraid). Don't think I'll buy a secondhand Elektron ever again due to this experience.
Cheers.
Goomba
Nils wrote:
If it costs this much to repair any mk1 with a broken main board....

MkI Mono with a "dead cpu" was around $500 to replace the main board. I didn't get the original part back with the machine. I hope it actually needed the replacement and not simply a low-level reflash.
pritee_piksuhl wrote:
ignatius wrote:
any news here? wondering if this has been resolved?????

Hey ignatius,
Well the latest news is that HQ have agreed to have the MD shipped back. I just need to pick the thing up from the local repairer and ship it off the Sweden. In terms of warranty I am not hopeful, worst case scenario is that it becomes spare parts, which is slightly more responsible than the watery grave I had planned

Thanks for the ongoing interest, I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

well, i guess that's progress.

honestly.. the details of this situation have bering on future elektron purchases for me. if they just bail n you and leave you holding a $1400 repair as the only option i'll think long and hard before i buy another elektron product.

what's to keep them from doing this to other people down the road?

your MD sounds like it was a lemon or something.. this is what i consider an "unusual circumstance" and they should deal w/your repair situation as if it's under warranty even if the warranty period has expired.

it would be bad form to do anything else imo.
Goomba
Small update, the MD is on its way to Sweden. The local repair costs plus shipping have certainly burnt a larger hole in my pocket than I ever wanted. Hopefully Elektron will see the screen protector and factory fresh condition and say "We can rebuild him...we have the technology".

On the upside the new OT OS is a pleasant surprise
Just wondering what country are you in?

Did elektron suggest local repair or were you just trying to save the cost and hassle of shipping?
Go to top Post Reply