As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD bricked
Goomba
MD bricked 10 Years, 12 Months ago
Well my local authorised repairer delivered the bad news today, my SPS-1 MKII UW+ is officially bricked! It would require a new main board and plus drive to live again Repair costs of $1400 mean that the MD won't live again. Gutted.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:MD bricked 10 Years, 12 Months ago
ugh.. that's totally sucks. it's a MKII UW+??? did you buy it new or used? how long have you had it???

that's really a downer. bummer man.. sorry.
King Koopa
any idea of the cause of the problem?

both the main board and plus drive board are dead?

how?
Goomba
whaat? Did you contact elektron?
Boo
very sorry to hear that
Do you know why it happened? was it just out of the blue, or...?
Goomba
Hey all, thanks for the sympathy.

While the MD was bought secondhand it is in as new condition and has functioned perfectly for at least 18 months. It decided to freeze one day while playing with its Elektron brothers and sisters.

I tried an empty reset, a factory reset, re-updating the OS, but basically it boots and then locks up - no sound! Contacted Elektron HQ and they referred me to the authorised repairer.

The repairer spent a few months shooting emails back and forth with HQ until finally today the bad news was delivered. At $1400 I just can't justify repairing it and unfortunately I'm not in a position to replace it at the moment.

I have no idea how you take down a main board and a plus drive in one hit! Complete mystery.

Having to re-buy existing gear is not a good feeling.
Boo
18 Months means it's well within the Elektron warranty period. $1400 repair costs is nonsense, that's more than a new unit.

The unit is still within warranty and if they cannot proof user error they will have to replace the unit with a new one.

What does long warranty mean if you don't receive it? Elektron should consider this before the word gets out there that their 3 year warranty is of no extra value at all.

Claim your warranty from Elektron, it is your right! Just my opinion!

From the Elektron website:

Warranty

Elektron machines bought 2010-07-05 and later come with a three year limited warranty, starting from the date of the original purchase. Being able to prove the date of the original purchase with an invoice or a receipt is necessary if you require warranty service.

If the machine should need a repair during the warranty period no charges will be applied for parts or labor. This warranty is transferable to other owners should the Elektron machine be resold during the warranty period. Items belonging to the Elektron Style range of products (t-shirts, stickers, posters etc.) are not covered by this warranty.

This warranty does not cover (a) damage, deterioration or malfunction resulting from accident, negligence, misuse, abuse, improper installation or operation or failure to follow instructions according to the Owner's Manual for this product; any shipment of the product (claims must be presented to the carrier); repair or attempted repair by anyone other than Elektron or a certified Elektron repair center (b) any unit which has been altered or on which the serial number has been defaced, modified or removed; (c) normal wear and any periodic maintenance; (d) deterioration due to perspiration, corrosive atmosphere or other external causes such as extremes in temperature or humidity; (e) damages attributable to power line surge or related electrical abnormalities, lightning damage or acts of God; or (f) rfi/emi (interference/noise) caused by improper grounding or the improper use of either certified or uncertified equipment, if applicable.
Chain Chomp
very sorry to hear
&
R.I.P.
Goomba
Thanks for the support Acidfever but as the unit was bought secondhand it is out of warranty. Maybe I was unclear, I meant to say that the condition was like new when I bought it.

The cost of replacement parts was a real wake up call for me though, over $600 for the main board alone not including freight or labour.
Go to top Post Reply