As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs Re:OT Lab # 6 - Sample Manipulation Competition! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT Lab # 6 - Sample Manipulation Competition!
Chain Chomp
MarsMelons - netlabel for experimental music

esmone - my drawings and cover art
OT Lab # 6 - Sample Manipulation Competition! 11 Years ago
Yo peeps!

I've been wanting to try out this for some time now, I hope some you will like to play along! The idea is basically to take a relatively short snippet of sound/music, load it into your Octatrack, play around with it, and post your result in this thread. This to see and show off some examples of what the Octatrack can do to samples. And ok, it's not really a competition, I just wanted to get your attention. But if this turns out to be a success, maybe I'll try to get some sort of prizes for future contests!

Here are the "rules" of the game;

- You must use the sample provided at the end of this post.
- The sample can only be used on one track of the Octatrack, but you are of course free to chop it up any way you like and use whichever parts you prefer.
- You can however use neighbour machines to add effects to the track with the sample.
- BPM is completely up to you.
- Try to keep your finished result to around 30 seconds of audio (or less) - this isn't a song composition game - it's all about the sample manipulation!
- Use as many patterns or parts as you like.
- Re-sampling is cool, but remember to keep audio to one track only.
- You're not allowed to use any external effects or process your audio with anything else but the Octatrack.
- When posting your finished result, please give us a short description of how you came to your result (which effects were used how, how you used LFO's etc etc).
- Please upload your result to the SoundCloud account provided below, and please use your Elektron-Users username as the name of the track.
- Feel free to post several tracks, naming the tracks "username01" "username02" etc if you post more than one track.

If you think the rules are too strict, we can always discuss them and change them for the next game, but for this one, these are the rules.

Feel free to create something completely abstract, in fact, I encourage you to! Please remember that this is not a song creation "contest", but a sample mangling game - we're aiming for the weird!

The sample to be used is provided in the link below - it is the opening 14 seconds of Toploader's 'Dancing In The Moonlight'. I wanted to use a song that many people are familiar with, so that the effects of the sample manipulation easier can be heard and appreciated.

http://www.esmone.com/octatrack/moonwave.wav (right-click and "save as")

The SoundCloud login is as follows;

email; ot@marsmelons.com
password; elektron

Experiment and have fun! And please don't hesitate to ask questions in here or to REALLY experiment with your creation, this is all about fun, and your reputation as a producer is not at stake!

(PS! I will post my own result later today)
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:OT - Sample Manipulation Competition! 11 Years ago
I'm in.. love these challenges!

You are aware there are 'OT labs' ?
14 second of musical content is overkill for the more seasoned octatrack programmers omong us.. check out their work with 2 seconds of white noise and similair rules:

http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=170583&catid=15
Chain Chomp

husc wrote:

14 second of musical content is overkill for the more seasoned octatrack programmers omong us.. check out their work with 2 seconds of white noise and similair rules:

http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=170583&catid=15

Ah, cool! Haven't seen those. Feel free to move this post to that part of the forum if you're a moderator. 30 seconds was just something I threw out there, feel more than free to deliver something 14 seconds or even 5 seconds worth of interesting sound.
Chain Chomp
Daisuk wrote:
husc wrote:

Ah, cool! Haven't seen those. Feel free to move this post to that part of the forum if you're a moderator. 30 seconds was just something I threw out there, feel more than free to deliver something 14 seconds or even 5 seconds worth of interesting sound.

By 14 seconds of musical content I meant: "The sample to be used is provided in the link below - it is the opening 14 seconds of Toploader's 'Dancing In The Moonlight'." 14 seconds of material is enormous in the octatrack, you could do with less.. but more is less en more is more, so let's stick to it and have a good time with it.

..if I were moderating, I would ask you kindly to add OT lab #6 to your topic and i'd move this to the 'science labs' forum.
Chain Chomp

husc wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
husc wrote:

By 14 seconds of musical content I meant: "The sample to be used is provided in the link below - it is the opening 14 seconds of Toploader's 'Dancing In The Moonlight'." 14 seconds of material is enormous in the octatrack, you could do with less.. but more is less en more is more, so let's stick to it and have a good time with it.

..if I were moderating, I would ask you kindly to add OT lab #6 to your topic and i'd move this to the 'science labs' forum.

Haha, of course, don't know how I could misunderstand that. I'll change the topic title!
Chain Chomp

Re:OT Lab # 6 - Sample Manipulation Competition! 11 Years ago
I had posted an mp3 of the cut thinking it would do, but apparently the Octatrack couldn't load the file, so updated the first post with a download link to a wave file now.
Game & Watch
if less is more, then more of more is less of less, and thus more...

more or less.

//remorseless Morse code of vague puns is now complete.
Chain Chomp

Here's a first attempt from me. Keep in mind that I am not a particularly talented musician nor a very experienced Octatrack-user, so if this sounds like total bullshit to you, you might be right!

I think I need to add to the rules that you are allowed to resample your track! Made it a bit more fun to work with. I had something prettier going at some point, but decided to fuck it up even more, and well, got lost somewhere along the road and it ended up like this droney crap.

https://soundcloud.com/ot-experimentation/daisuk01

Can't even remember all I did to it, something like this;

- sliced up some nice one-toned slices
- set the rate down
- resampled
- chopped up again
- added some filtering and distortion
- slowed down the tempo a lot
- resampled
- chopped up again
- assigned some delays to scenes
- added a comb filter and p-locks with the feedback on that
- added a reverb
- speeded the whole thing up a bit again (which is why the background droney stuff sounds pretty fast)
- recorded into Audacity while using the slider to add some delays

Oh, well, first attempt, will try to make something completely different later!
Chain Chomp

Here's number 2 to keep it rolling, nothing serious;

https://soundcloud.com/ot-experimentation/daisuk02

Chopped up, speeded up to 300 bpm, added filter, delay and some compression.
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
intersting both....but the second goes really somewhere else!
cheers!
Go to top Post Reply