As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Novation Bass Station 2!!!!!!! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Novation Bass Station 2!!!!!!!
Cappy
Re:Novation Bass Station 2!!!!!!! 11 Years ago
I can't see how this is a minibrute killer. They are two different instruments.
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
mistakem wrote:
Seems a strange re-release, I din't think the bass station was very well regarded, before my time though so I could be wrong...

It was very popular with goa/psychedelic trance producers because it was something like $399 when it came out and could do a very good 303 imitation, then they put out a rack version and a drum machine clone called the drum station, also in a rack. It also had some patch storage, and in particular it had a fairly decent MIDI implementation which made it a very good choice for working with a sequencer (and which is something cool about this new version as well...I felt an immediate desire to plug it into an Octatrack).

Shemp wrote:

Yeah, but if you only have $500 which one are you gonna get? the BS2 is a lot more synth, while those who want amximum analog are going to be tempted towards the Ms-20 mini. Mind, that's no criticism of the MiniBrute - I was playing with one the other day and I was very impressed with the build quality and sound. I have to admit to flirting with the idea of selling the G2 and getting a bunch of contemporary analog monosynths instead
Chain Chomp
anigbrowl wrote:
mistakem wrote:
Seems a strange re-release, I din't think the bass station was very well regarded, before my time though so I could be wrong...

It was very popular with goa/psychedelic trance producers because it was something like $399 when it came out and could do a very good 303 imitation, then they put out a rack version and a drum machine clone called the drum station, also in a rack. It also had some patch storage, and in particular it had a fairly decent MIDI implementation which made it a very good choice for working with a sequencer (and which is something cool about this new version as well...I felt an immediate desire to plug it into an Octatrack).

Cool, i'm intrigued now!
I never had one of these but they are a classic, that lfo delay was great.
Boo
shemp wrote:
Absolutely, the MB is very unique in its sound. If you dig it there's hardly a substitute for it.

Also what I dislike about the new as well as the old Bass Station are the shared controls for the envelopes. I made me sell mine and the new one even has the settings for three envelopes shared.

But I'm picky about workflows, I prefere either encoder-based matrix interfaces like the elektrons have or true(!) one knob per function, wysiwyg old school analog controls without presets.
Cappy
SonicState posted a preview of the Bass Station 2. Not much in the way of demo sounds, but they do discuss the hardware a bit.

http://youtu.be/i4b6tBuEOfk

At around 3:30, from the lack of a power adapter, it looks like it can be USB bus-powered?

Edit: USB bus-power was previously advertised. Some of us are just forgetful.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Move video, with sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PFVBg9qpizI

I feel a bit sorry for Novation. This is a good synth at a good price, but for the same amount you could buy all 3 Korg units and I think a lot of people will. I still like what I hear and read on the specs, and would still like to own this one.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
This and the Minibrute really remind me of twins, seperated at birth, ..., by a year, ...., and one lives in France, one in England, , and they have slightly different accents, but they still look like twins!
Cappy
anigbrowl wrote:
This is a good synth at a good price, but for the same amount you could buy all 3 Korg units and I think a lot of people will.

Good point. It's a really exciting time for analog. With everyone rushing to make similarly-priced, similarly-featured synths, it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the marketplace.
King Koopa
Edit: Incorrect info
Go to top Post Reply