As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Piracy Alert! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Piracy Alert!
AOT
Goomba
Piracy Alert! 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Hello fellow Elektronauts!

Well this story can be long or short..

In short: I bought a Vinyl frome clone.nl. Container LP, awesome techno by the way. When I first listened to it I kind of recognized a sound from one of my many unreleased tracks posted on soundcloud. I then matched the tempos of the two in Traktor and compared them to eachother. Ridiculously similiar. So I made a video of everything and emailed Container and he replied It must be a weird coincidence. Im still not sure..dont know what to think.. need your help.
So I thought I'd post this on my youtube and create a poll.

Anyone think Im right click - Like
Anyone think Container is right click -Dislike

...sounds fun to me!

To participate go to youtube.com/artsoftechno

and sorry about the quality
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:Piracy Alert! 11 Years, 1 Month ago
They both sound like descending syncopated 16th notes - similar but not the same tones.

Meh I think it is a coincidence. Seems like a silly thing to sample.
Game & Watch
Your link does not work, but anyway I found it on youtube, very difficult to say for sure because of the sound quality, but yes sounds similar. I think you need to record it properly before asking for opinions, why not put it on soundcloud with annotations?
AOT
Goomba
Boo
What synth and sequencer did you use to create that part? Anyway, this really is a very generic sequence and sound. I wouldn't rule out coincidence.

On the other hand sampling from all kinds of sources has been an essential part in electronic music from it's very beginnings. Btw. I wouldn't take damage to my pride if someone sampled one of my tracks without crediting me. If you work a lot with samples you'd have to be a clerk to keep track of all licences. And that's even more true with CC licences, share alike as the base principle is fine but with all this chains of attributions when material is being reworked and reworked. It can heavily get in the way of creativity.

But that's just my point of view and I have the luxury not to be financially dependent on my music. I do it solely for pleasure and I understand your concerns as well as that of course it is also a question of respect.

To get to the point: I think the issue here is more about how musicians and artists should treat each other rather than what currently is being discussed under the topic of "piracy".

Well, that's unless the part you're concerned about is being used in a platinum selling international hit record and it is all about royalties worth of billions of dollars, than forget everything I wrote above... hang that filthy thief!
Boo
Fo shizzle you've been sampled.
Chain Chomp
Everything you own ends up owning you.
If you have been ripped then i feel very sorry for you.
One of my copyrighted tracks turned up in an Audi advert. I know who stole it and I am still very angry. Contacted Audi and they clammed up refusing to help in any way. Had a mate who writes for Top Gear magazine and when he tried pulling some favours the door was slammed in his face too.
Someone has used something I created and has no doubt got a great portfolio and getting a track in an advert for Audi is not going to harm his career is it? Bar-steward.

Come on Audi, challenge me. I have the original.
Game & Watch
^ Sounds like a solicitors letter is in order.
Game & Watch
AOT - still getting a 404 on your link, it is putting elektron-users.com in front of the www

Here is the link BTW www.youtube.com/artsoftechno but that does not go directly to the video,
use this instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTgM2fUZfZY
Boo
@Beardy Jack: If your track is copyrighted, then you'll probably be a member of a copyright collecting society. So I'm sure it's best to contact them about that copyright infringement and not audi itself. I'm sure you have the proof that you are the originator of that specific track and that the sample was not cleared and you have not been compensated for it.

Actually that's what collecting societies are about, aren't they?

Btw. a good friend of mine got sampled for a jingle on the national youth radio station. He was NOT a member of a collecting society and tried to get his royalties directly from the radio station. The bottom line was that he would have needed to hire a lawyer to get a single cent out of them. They just replied that they have a flat-rate contract with the national collecting society and if he's not a member there they can't do nothing about this. By law he would have been right. Unfortunately he couldn't afford a lawyer.
Go to top Post Reply