As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs Re: New Science Lab (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: New Science Lab
Hero of Winds
Re: New Science Lab 16 Years, 7 Months ago

daswesen wrote:
Suggestion for MD/MD-UW:

use only 3 tracks (so 3 different machines), and 3 ctrl machines. no rom nor ram machines.

That sounds good to me.
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
enapa lirar monolåda, 2 x sidstation och uv!
: )
Maybe the Digipro beatbox can vs MD?s E12??

someone who has md and mnm can test wich samples that are most like-sounding...

New Monochallange:
GND>GND only!!
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
How about, for the MDUW
1 machine (of any kind)
Both RAM machines
Boo
The idea, which suddenly got totally smashed and turned into some proposed ego-hunt was basicly this:

When you buy a elektron you have two choises, MD or MM, so I think it would be interesting to to see how these two machines stand today by letting the users make the best they can with them, using ALL tricks in the book so far and hopefully come up with some new ones while at it.

And just to clarify that if anyone thinks I?m after any ego-hunting, just look in the download section for the sysex of my uw-competition entry, it?s been there a long time.

What is missing in the science lab at the moment is spelled e-n-e-r-g-y, very few take the time to enter so I thought MD vs MM was a good idea, anyway...

:-D
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com

HBINC wrote:
The idea, which suddenly got totally smashed and turned into some proposed ego-hunt was basicly this:

When you buy a elektron you have two choises, MD or MM, so I think it would be interesting to to see how these two machines stand today by letting the users make the best they can with them, using ALL tricks in the book so far and hopefully come up with some new ones while at it.

And just to clarify that if anyone thinks I?m after any ego-hunting, just look in the download section for the sysex of my uw-competition entry, it?s been there a long time.

What is missing in the science lab at the moment is spelled e-n-e-r-g-y, very few take the time to enter so I thought MD vs MM was a good idea, anyway...

:-D

I #OOPS#ING 2nd THIS! 8-)
let's do it!
ALL the tricks in the book baby!
that's amazing!
Cappy
I don't have a suggestion for an actual lab, but I do have 3 or so suggestions for the way they're done. Some of this may just be my ignorance, and some of this is probably borderline site-suggestion stuff, but here goes:

a) For whatever new labs are decided on, I think one thing that would help up the participation level would be well-defined submission cut off dates right from the start. As far as I can tell, the only currently posted cut off dates are for voting on the entries.

That may sound counter intuitive, but I think that most people tend to procrastinate if they're given the option, especially for something that's "just for fun". I'm not knocking anyone- I'm one of the worst about this. I was genuinely excited about the MnM lab, but it still took me ~2 extra weeks to enter my submission, simply because I knew the lab wasn't ending anytime soon.

If the submission cut off date is set in stone, it may kick some of the stragglers into gear and get some more submissions going.

b) I think a shorter lab period might help, too. No matter what lab is decided on, there will probably be a few people who would have participated but didn't because they disliked the lab subject, so it's kind of a bummer to have to wait so long for another chance. I think a good balance might be about a month in total: 3 weeks for submissions, 1 week for voting. It looks like the labs used to actually be monthly, judging from the lab page...

c) Lastly, and I don't think this is actually stopping anyone from participating, but once I had my submission ready, I found the lab submittal process to be a little bit confusing. Clicking the "Science Lab" menu option didn't show me anything about the still-open Monomachine lab or provide a link to enter a submission. I eventually did find the upload page, but it really did take me a surprising amount of time to get there, being a newb and all. Don't get me wrong: I think the site design is awesome, but a little more info/functionality on the main lab page would be very handy.

-Joel
Admin
thx Tantacle for you suggestions, i really appreciate you taking the time to offer such well thought out suggestions. here's some quick thoughts on your points:

a & b) i agree about the cutoff date. historically Elektron-Users Labs participation has been real hit & miss. we've only had a few Labs ever have more than 5 entries. i know Glaive (site admin) would set deadlines for entries but would often leave the submission date open a bit longer to try to allow for more entries.

we initially had a more systematic way of dealing with LABS but the lukewarm interest has made us waiver in hopes of drawing more entrants.

as for the judging, again, the original system was that when one LAB would close, another would open. ideally, this allows 30 days to work on the current submission and 30 days to vote until the next LAB and so forth.

i'm open to a shorter voting span, i personally suggest nothing less than 2 weeks. i say this because i vast majority of the registered users who come by here aren't checking the site daily and sometimes not even weekly. the voting span length is typically left open for longer periods so there more than say 7 votes like in the current poll.

c) yes . it isn't the most concise or functional system. it was far worse before, and it has only been slightly improved when we upgraded. as it is now, all entries and files go to the "Downloads" portion of the site. we've tried to make the language clear on that page as to where you desired files should go. i will make an effort to explain the process a bit more in detail in the future with a link taking you to the appropriate "Download" section, but this is all i can really do at the moment.

again, i thank you for you suggestion and will make an effort to employ them. in the future, though appropriate here, try keeping 'suggestions' to the "Site Suggestions" forum.

thx
a

futureimage wrote:

daswesen wrote:
Suggestion for MD/MD-UW:

use only 3 tracks (so 3 different machines), and 3 ctrl machines. no rom nor ram machines.

That sounds good to me.

Yeah, I'm for this idea. Sounds pretty advanced, but just about anything can be done with the FM machines.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
can you put up a banners on the site which say:
"LAB OPEN, x-many DAYS LEFT"
"LAB CLOSED, PLACE YOUR VOTES"

so that everyone can see it or something..
anyways, I vote for a mnm - md (uw or not) standoff :-D
Admin

can you put up a banners on the site which say:
"LAB OPEN, x-many DAYS LEFT"
"LAB CLOSED, PLACE YOUR VOTES"

No & Yes. Unfortunately XOOPS isn't advanced enough in its core modules to make a banner listing "x-many DAYS LEFT". I can always mention LAB OPEN, LAB CLOSED, PLACE YOUR VOTES". Creating a module and coding the PHP do as you requested is possible but it's just not gonna happen. It would take time that I and the others can't afford to dedicate at the moment towards such an endeavor. I can make it a "Sticky" post and potentially a sidebar item but no banners (shirks).

This all takes time folks. Many suggestions we can easily acommadate others require coding & more importantly time. This site is admin'd by Glaive, Divi, and myself but much of the work and time is my own.

All suggestions are considered and if we can add them easily and it's to the benefit of the community on a whole then we try to make it so.

cheers
ca

EDIT: again, thx for the suggestions. PLEASE keep them in the appropriate area "Site Suggestions". so they don't get lost in the shuffle and forgotten about
Go to top Post Reply