As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge twist those basslines (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: twist those basslines
Game & Watch
twist those basslines 11 Years, 2 Months ago
interested to hear from other elektron users, about how they twist their basslines?

i am really keen to get some really twisted-yet-grooving basslines happening,
looking for advice, be it sequencer related, eq, fx or otherwise..

cheers for any help.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:twist those basslines 11 Years, 2 Months ago
what kind of basslines? examples?
Game & Watch
well, this track made by a pal in Melbourne kind of heading towards the direction of twisted bassline style that i am searching for...

https://soundcloud.com/dj-elixza/funk-2

just wondering if any new twists are possible...

hmm .. thoughts that come to mind whilst writing this..
playing with the attack of the bass synth patch, realtime and recording the audio..
or, recording movements, or simply automating parameter shifts.

also, just noticed how the hihats and minimal sounds kind of add to the bassline groove experience.

Elixza is a creative compadre in B-Boy Mixers, and he works with a Maschine ... i tried to get him to buy an OT,
and he nearly did.
Eventually, Elixza got the Maschine, and i purchased an Octatrack (convinced myself through all the conversations about what was the best way to go).
but now we will most likely invest in extra equipment, Maschine for myself and Octatrack for Elixza.

anyway, back on topic, i am wondering how to develop a series of tracks similar to what Elixza has achieved with his Funk-2 track..

only i would like to take things in a prog/minimal/tech direction,
while developing new and twisted basslines.

perhaps applying some chorus to only sections of a bassline could help to define new accents.
Hammer Bro
MD MKII 10th Anniversary Edition
Monomachine MKII
Facebook Page
it may sound obvious, but i love using an lfo on the hpf.
play around with how much highs are coming through the bassline.

syncopation steps etc.

peace
Game & Watch
cheers JD, much appreciated.

i have found the ultimate twisted bassline tool:

the Machinedrum's EFM bassdrum. that thing is wild with extra twist on the side, in so many ways.

after resetting the MD to factory settings, i have rediscovered the joys of internal-synthesis-only, for track creation. basically the MD is handling drums and basslines, with the OT doing synths and some drum loop re-sequencing on the side.

something i noticed with the MD EQ section.

the gain is all the way up on every single kit.
possibly this is to make the signal hit the dynamix hard enough to get an appreciable response.
but i don't really understand the dynamix and that is the one thing on the MD i don't actually use.

so i went through and set all the starter kits to neutral gain of 0 in the Master Effects EQ section.

maybe it is my imagination but the device is sounding about twice as cool as before.
can't believe it took six years to figure this out.

while i was there, went through the kits Master EQ and gave a slight push to the lows, a slight attenuation back on the highs, as i often find that the audio signal coming from the MD somehow has a slightly extra helping of 'tops'.

and a bit of the PG PQ add into the mix for a slightly liquid rubbery sound to the mix of each kit.

after reducing the EQ gain down to zero neutral, when listening on the headphones, i seem to detect an ever-so-slight noise floor just barely there.

as everyone knows, Elektron gear is well-liked for its high gain output and the lack of noise in the mix.

well, i have reduced the loudness factor, and found liquid basslines twisting out from the EFM kit members and also other different drums.

requires a lot of 'practice' to make the sounds and tones work..
time i guess... well, i think more an ability to hear the potential of the sounds,
in relation to groove construction.

i used to worry about getting perfect tuning with the drum synthesizers being used as bass synths, but i read something that someone wrote on the forum here,
essentially saying that the tuning of drums is a very different thing compared to guitars or clarinets.

it isn't exact and it isn't meant to be.
it is meant to be an inexact science, and the combination of 'noise' element, in all its facets, timbres, and contexts, makes a strong case for reducing the overarching imperative that other instrument players have, that of getting the tuning right before starting a jam session or a recording.

it is actually the implied dissonance in the multi resonating centres of percussion that makes it more enjoyable for the listening.

audio listeners and audiences are actually pre-prepared to quite happily accept drum kits that although 'tuned' by their owner, are tuned to a much different and organic "out in the field" aesthetic.

so anyway, that made me feel great about using the Machinedrum as a twisted bassline tool with the Octatrack. the combination is quite mystifyingly awesome. kind of an exotic tribal experience as these two devices work it.
Boo
Octatrack | MnM SFX60 | KP3
try setting up a MIDI track on the OCTA just forthe sake of modulating the MD.
choose individual track length on the OT and run a 15 step filtermodulation against the 16 step bassline of the MD - you get the point. use shift page on the OT.
on top of all adding OT´s 3 LFO´s patched to MD´s CC´s might help going further wild and twisted.
Go to top Post Reply