As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:A4 CV Pitch Issues (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:A4 CV Pitch Issues
Goomba
A4 CV Pitch Issues 11 Years, 2 Months ago
I'm hoping someone who knows a bit more about CV than me can help.

I've got the CV track on my A4 controlling my SH-101. It's all connected properly (using an insert cable) and the 101 is receiving pitch and gate info, but unfortunately the intonation is completely off. If I tune the A4 signal so it's sending middle C, it only has to deviate a few notes before it's out of tune. The intonation of the 101 itself when played via the keyboard is fine, so it seems to be a CV issue.

I used to have a Kenton MIDI to CV converter and I'm pretty certain it didn't have this problem. I also remember it had a parameter called 'Scale' or something that allowed you to adjust intonation. Is there a way to do this with the A4? Am I missing something obvious that I can troubleshoot?

Thanks guys.
  The topic has been locked.
vst
Cappy
Re:A4 CV Pitch Issues 11 Years, 2 Months ago
I assume you have the proper CV type set in the A4 i.e., V/oct.
On the CV Setup page there should be 3 values you can set.

Type (Pitch V/Oct for the SH-101)
Middle C (Sounds like you already have this value set correctly)
V/Oct (This is the one you set to get the scaling between octaves correct)

I had to tweak the V/Oct value to get my Moog Little Phatty playing nicely with the A4. I assume this the same as the Scale feature of the Kenton converter.
Fuseball wrote:
On the CV Setup page there should be 3 values you can set.

Type (Pitch V/Oct for the SH-101)
Middle C (Sounds like you already have this value set correctly)
V/Oct (This is the one you set to get the scaling between octaves correct)

I had to tweak the V/Oct value to get my Moog Little Phatty playing nicely with the A4. I assume this the same as the Scale feature of the Kenton converter.

Speaking of CV pitch to the Little Phatty, what setting are you using for V/Oct? IIRC I'm using 0.97 and also 3 for middle C.

Also, has anyone set up their A4 with an Oberheim SEM (pro) yet? Mine just arrived
Goomba
The A4 I had for a short time tracked very poorly. +/-25 cents over a single octave. I tested this with a eurorack oscillator that tracks close to 8 octaves almost perfectly with my Kilpatrik k1600 midi to cv. Elektron just told me to check the settings which were correct.

Luke
lukas412 wrote:
The A4 I had for a short time tracked very poorly. +/-25 cents over a single octave. I tested this with a eurorack oscillator that tracks close to 8 octaves almost perfectly with my Kilpatrik k1600 midi to cv. Elektron just told me to check the settings which were correct.

Luke

That's been my experience so far too and I am starting to come to the realisation that using the CV for pitch may not be workable (having issues with little phatty, SEM and ms10), however, for non-pitch duties, it's fun (FM, filter, PWM etc.)
Goomba
my sh-101 tracks around -10cents over 4 octaves. im using 0.95 for v/oct and 2.83 for middle c
Goomba
my kenton tracked better though if i remember correctly
Goomba
it tracks like 5cents worse than the sh-101 itself over all octaves lo to high.
Game & Watch
Interesting, I have not checked scaling accuracy on mine, the easiest way to tell if the problem lies with the A4 or the synth is to use a multimeter to measure the volts at each octave.

I might try mine later.
Go to top Post Reply