As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT part per pattern petition (OT owners, please sign this) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT part per pattern petition (OT owners, please sign this)
Chain Chomp
Re:OT part per pattern petition (OT owners, please sign this) 11 Years, 2 Months ago
I've talked with the HQ in the past and they replied that it's possible to implement 1 part per pattern but they don't see any reason to do it which for me is a really outrageous view.
They also stated that they need to keep delays and reverbs going on between patterns and that changing parts between patterns would be a problem. I don't think that this true since I've tested delays between changing parts and they still sound in tracks that have the same fx settings.
i really don't understand the limitation of 4 part per bank. Finally what you get is 4 patterns per bank each pattern with three variations. There are circumstances that I need 16 different patterns per bank each with different scenes, fx setups, track assignments. To accomplish this I need to use 4 banks! Sometimes I only need 1 part per bank and I can't understand why the hell can't the used part be identical for all 16 patterns and if I decide to vary my patterns 6 or 7 times to be able to mess with each pattern and do whatever i like without thinking, worrying and planning about parts. It's just not intuitive. I can already hear some of you saying "Just use 64 patterns per project". No guys I need to use more and to be exact I need to use all of the 256 available patterns interdependently. Period. And since I already know from the HQ that it is possible I want this to happen as soon as possible.
And if a part per pattern gets implemented nobody else's workflow or already saved projects will be affected since each already saved project will use 64 parts. Whoever wants to keep using 4 parts per bank could still happily use them and nobody gets affected.
The 4 part system, given that nothing would change regarding OT stability and operation if it had independent parts per pattern, is a very bad design issue for ELECTRON. Also saving part to disk and loading from disk is essential. I tend to save certain part setups as banks and copy paste them in projects I need to use them again. How much easier would it be to load parts from disk?Tons of...
Anyway these are my angry thoughts about parts.
And yes guys keep voting. OT will be a different machine for 99% of users.
  The topic has been locked.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Re:OT part per pattern petition (OT owners, please sign this) 11 Years, 2 Months ago
Ok, since "it's possible" --> +1
Chain Chomp
poonti wrote:
Ok, since "it's possible" --> +1

Remember, I didn't say it's possible. ELECTRON said that some time ago!
Game & Watch
oh, well if Poonti gets to vote twice then ... +1

I think it is understandable that some Elektron Users are somewhat flummoxed as to *why* people would absolutely love to have Part per Pattern.

For some users, they work only with loops in the OT.

The thing is, the OT also is a smokin' drum/sample trigger machine.
It absolutely kicks. The rhythm feel on it is just magnificent.
Compared to sequencing one-shot samples on Ableton, the difference is like worlds apart.

There is no specific *use* for the OT. If some like loops, and others like one-shot sequencing, then viva la difference, I say.

But for those who do a lot of one-shot sequencing, it is very, very easy to run out of Parts quite quickly. Especially with a genre like trip-hop, for example. And there is a lot of fine adjustments made so a sample gets trigged from the middle, with a slight increase of the attack parameter, etc... this kind of thing is going on all the time...

and although parameter locks are a great help, it is often really nice to change the parameters and hit the trig button in a rhythm fashion and feel the vibe for the new sequence on a pattern. Very subtle changes, very often.
I really like the load part from card option that KRAFTF suggested. Loading a project-> coping a part, loading another project and pasting it is a pain.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
If it was a technical limitation driving this design, then ok fair enough, I cna live with that. The OT is amazing in what it can do afterall (like magically raise the volume of my recorded loops over time).

But if it's a workflow decision, or part of some aesthetic, then I don't get it. This is easily one of the most asked for features since the OT was released.

I'm not saying get rid of the 4 part system, some people are used to it and like it. I just want the OPTION to have a direct pattern to part link.
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
previewlounge wrote:
Compared to sequencing one-shot samples on Ableton, the difference is like worlds apart.

True that. I thought when I bought it that I would do much more loop mangling with it, but 90% of the time I'm using single hits, so that I've have been thinking I need to get another Elektron machine just for drums - I feel like I'm underusing some of the machine's capabilities at present.

And it's not just drums! I use the OT heavily as a single-osc synth, loading up a bunch of single-cycle waveforms and triggering note-by-note even though I could do so as easily (or easier) via MIDI to my other gear - it just sounds so fat. However, this does lead to using up tracks very quickly.
Game & Watch
anigbrowl wrote:
previewlounge wrote:

True that. I thought when I bought it that I would do much more loop mangling with it, but 90% of the time I'm using single hits, so that I've have been thinking I need to get another Elektron machine just for drums - I feel like I'm underusing some of the machine's capabilities at present.

And it's not just drums! I use the OT heavily as a single-osc synth, loading up a bunch of single-cycle waveforms and triggering note-by-note even though I could do so as easily (or easier) via MIDI to my other gear - it just sounds so fat. However, this does lead to using up tracks very quickly.

Word. Keys one shots, Vocals one shots, turntablism one shots, bass synth one shots ...
electric animal sound one shots, samples of birds from the awesome library recently posted on EU one shots, effects one shots, jazz one shots...
Chain Chomp
Tarekith wrote:
If it was a technical limitation driving this design, then ok fair enough, I cna live with that. The OT is amazing in what it can do afterall (like magically raise the volume of my recorded loops over time).

But if it's a workflow decision, or part of some aesthetic, then I don't get it. This is easily one of the most asked for features since the OT was released.

I'm not saying get rid of the 4 part system, some people are used to it and like it. I just want the OPTION to have a direct pattern to part link.

That was exactly my point.
Goomba
+1 We need this. Well, i do anyway.
Go to top Post Reply