As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Stupid OT/A4 program change question (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Stupid OT/A4 program change question
Goomba
Stupid OT/A4 program change question 11 Years, 2 Months ago
Hi,

I’m sequencing my A4 & MD (and my virus TI) with my OT :
- The OT send program change to the MD via notes…. No problem on this point.
- The OT send program change to the A4 via… program change… and here is my problem :

If I’m not mistaken, program changes in the OT are linked to parts. Which means that I can only send 4 different program change/bank to the A4…. Which is not enough for me...

Is there any way to :
- Send program change to the A4 via notes ?
Or
- Send more than 4 program changes per bank with the OT ?

Thanks a lot
R.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:Stupid OT/A4 program change question 11 Years, 2 Months ago
Hi,

I also have an OT and A4 and am very new at Elektron gear. I cannot, unfortunately, answer your question but you seem to have achieved what I'm looking for.

How do you send program change from the OT to the A4? Using a trig? This is really unclear to me?

What does the program change actually do on the A4? Change the active sound? kit? pattern?

I'm trying to trig pattern changes from the OT to the A4.
Goomba
Hey there !

I'm experimenting as well this heavy OT limitation : seems you can't p-lock in the OT the program change on notes, which implies a whole Part change each time I want to change an A4 Pattern..

Hs anybody any clue for a workaround ? It's really tought to adjust to..

Matt
I'm confused. Isn't it set up on the midi track for the pattern? Or is there some other way to do it, or am I not thinking of the same thing?
Chain Chomp
Well yes it'a a limitation when you use the OT midi tracks to send PG. Really I can't understand why manufacturers put such limitations. Maybe there is something technical that we don't know about it.
Anyway there is another way to send PG. Goto the OT midi sync menu and you'll find the PG send and receive options where you can specify the midi channels also. So each time you switch a oattern in OT a program change will be sent to A4 which probably is what you are looking for. For pattern based machines this is the way to control them. However when controlling synths the current 4 part-PG limitation is completely unjustifiable to me.
And again one thing comes in mind which makes me want to ask again for 1 PART PER PATTERN!!!
Goomba
In the A4 you define a 'program change input midi channel', in my case i put it on 'auto'
In the OT, each miditrack can have a different program change number and midi channels, so I guess muting/unmuting 4 midi tracks in OT can alternate a4 program changes. It should allow to obtain 16 program changes per OT Bank (ie one per OT pattern), but this would 'cost' to use 4 miditracks in OT simply to deal with program change which should work with 1 channel... (I happen to have another 6 voices synth to sequence from OT).

As suggested finding a way to use notes to send program change to a4 would work with one channel straightforwrd..

I'm not sure i made it clearer though..

Matt

, program change request

Spinout made it clearer than me :

Is there any way to :

- Send program change to the A4 via notes ?

Or

- Send more than 4 program changes per bank with the OT ?
Chain Chomp
I set mine up so that pattern changes on the A4 follow pattern changes on the OT. i.e. when the OT is on pattern A01, the A4 is on A01. When I change the OT track to A02, it changes to A02 on the A4. This, though, did not get me what I wanted as versatility so I sequence the A4 from the OT.
Goomba
Thanks guys, seems like indeed it's a weird limitation... Might end up sequencing A4 ith OT, which is a kind pf waste... Hopefully it's somehow adresses soon in an upgrade..
Goomba
Re:Stupid OT/A4 program change question 10 Years, 8 Months ago
This sounds like what I'm needing to do. I need the full Kit with FX mix and Perf settings to load, not just individual track sounds.

How do you set it to do this? Thanks very much. I find the Elektron manuals most unhelpful on this - it's only been a MIDI feature for 30-odd years!!!
Re:Stupid OT/A4 program change question 10 Years, 8 Months ago
OK, maybe I am clueless on this, but I figure out which CC# controls program changes on whatever synth (CC#32 I believe is prgrm chng for DSI stuff). On any given midi channel on the OT you set one of the CC controllers to that particualr CC# that controls program change. Then you can just Plock you program changes. You could have a new program change for each 16th note if you so desired. This may or may not answer your question just thought Id chime in quickly.
Go to top Post Reply