As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Site Suggestions need graphics help (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: need graphics help
Chain Chomp
need graphics help 16 Years, 8 Months ago
Hiya dudez, I'm hacking a bit into my lisp stuff, and plan to transform it into some kind of web application. I can now import and save sysex files (songs, kits, patterns, globals), and I've spend the day converting these into images reminiscent of the user manual. I can't deploy the webapp right now, so you can't test it for yourself :/ but here is an example:

http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/md-uw/43.html

I used hageir's image, I hope that's ok hageir there is a notice in the html.

Now, I'd need some help for the overall design (I'm a programmer, no clue about graphcis), and for example the pattern layout looks like crap I think adding javascript will be necessary to have a beautiful rendition of param locks.

Regards, manuel
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Re: need graphics help 16 Years, 8 Months ago
wow great app!

hey
I'm studying visual communications (fancy word for graphic design)

I guess I could help you out..
but I'm way too lazy

and yeah use it all you want man, no problem..
one tip: it looks better in the original size.
like here:
http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/md-uw/43/song0.html

*edit*

just clicked on one of the kits, I love the minimal look of it all!
just stick to that! black and white too, looks great
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
ps. what does it do?
is it a librarian?
Chain Chomp
Doesn't do much right now except rendering an uploaded sysex file.

The code side itself is a tad more advanced, I can convert md patterns and md songs to midi, and back. It keeps the param locks as well, so you can draw curves in your sequencer, and then the conversion software tries to approximate it with slides etc... Also it can convert longer midi files into a song, using some intelligence in splitting it into patterns. Also as I can write back the data structures to sysex, I plan to do some web2.0 librarian, where you tag machines, and then can drag'n'drop them into a complete kit.

A nice thing also is that it can convert melodic lines back to TRX-BD, etc... according to http://www.gweep.net/%7Eshifty/machinedrum/ptch/sps1.png (and also on ROM-machines).

So I guess a lot of potential But the hacking on that "simple" webapp thing made me realise that there is quite a lot of work hidden there.
Chain Chomp
I think I got a good UI idea as well. It would be cool to have a big image of an MD on the bottom of the screen, which would symbolize a "sysex file". On the top you can browse the database, check the machines, the patterns, etc... When you drag a machine onto one of the step button, it loads it into the current kit, and when you're done you can press a "store kit" button on the md and it actualizes the sysex file. Do the same for patterns and songs, et voila. Status etc... would be shown on the MD screen.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
wow!
this is some advanced coding!

you should sell it to elektron :-D

but it's great that you're doing this, and if you need any help with the graphics just let me know!
Admin
daswesen,

if i had any kind of programming kung fu i would help in a heart beat. i feel like your prog could go places in terms of a full on/sophisticated librarian. i've taken to making tables in word documents that accompany my sysex files everytime i back up so i don't have to send each pattern, etc. individually. = c6 is a blunt tool!

please keep it up, as i know any homebrew stuff would be well appreciated by people on this forum. . . even if a nominal fee was required to partake. =P

M
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
Sounds impressive so far.
If you can get something that can go between MD and midi, I'd totally be willing to pay something for it.
Chain Chomp
ookpikk: you mean something like empty magic?
Yoshi
looks awesome! i'd love to have an editor/librarian like that... don't have much to contribute though i'm afraid.
Go to top Post Reply