As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear DIN Sync to eurorackified CV cable for Analog 4? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: DIN Sync to eurorackified CV cable for Analog 4?
Chain Chomp
DIN Sync to eurorackified CV cable for Analog 4? 11 Years, 4 Months ago
I'm really loving using the CV with my modular. I was wondering if there are any cables already made that breakup the din sync cable so I can use it or if it's something I have to DIY?
  The topic has been locked.
Re:DIN Sync to eurorackified CV cable for Analog 4? 11 Years, 4 Months ago
I don't think those exist and if they do, they're probably expensive.
Take a look at this page, which details the functions and pin-out of a DIN SYNC cable: http://www.doepfer.de/faq/gen_faq.htm#Sync

It wouldn't be too hard to DIY, in fact, I'll probably be doing this. Just make sure you get a 5-pin DIN cable where all pins are connected. A MIDI cable uses different pins than what is required for a DIN SYNC cable.
From there, it's just a matter of choosing the appropriate output connectors for your system (1/8" or 1/4" mono). Oh, and don't forget to solder the "start/stop" pin for resetting sequencers.

One other thing that I'm sure you're aware of: the A4 outputs 24 ppqn (pulses per quarter note), by default, so that may have to be divided down to become useful.

Maybe I'll write another guide if I end up DIY'ing a DIN SYNC to audio cable.
Chain Chomp
Found some on eBay. 5 bux. That's cheap enough to be under my DIY threshold. I ordered 2, but I forgot to check the length, so I might have to DIY some longer ones.

I checked with elektron and the a4 only sends start and pulse. Makes sense because the DIN that sends other signals must(?) use the other pins and this way MIDI and DIN don't use the same pins.

I ordered 2 because then I can do stuff like run the out port at 24 and thru at 48. And probably not, but maybe elektron will add 12, 8, 4, 16 later.

DIN start just being +5v won't be hugely interesting, but I have enough utility modules (thanks Doepfer!) that I should be able to do some neat stuff with it, like invert, attenuate, delay, mix, gate, etc. Plus, the a4 works stopped so I could even work stopping the a4 into performance. Either way, it's great to have options.

If anyone does want to DIY I found this while researching:
http://www.rv0.be/sudc.html
Can you share the link to the cables? I thought I did a pretty extensive search ("dinsync to audio", "sync24 to audio cable", etc.)
Chain Chomp
Sure, I didn't include it because I didn't want to look spammy.

I think "DIN JACK" were the magic search terms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190739413035

Shipping is slooow, but that gives me plenty of time to get the regular CV figured out.
Interesting...are you sure that the correct pins are represented at the audio outputs? Obviously, pin 3 (clock) is most important, but I wonder if the other jack is wired to pin 1 (start/stop). I guess we'll see! In the meantime, I'll just make my own cables or maybe a "sync box" with various divisions.
Goomba
Re:DIN Sync to eurorackified CV cable for Analog 4? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
old thread i know but os at expert sleepers makes these. very handy

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/accessories.html
Go to top Post Reply