As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Site Suggestions SPAM SPAM SPAM...grrr (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: SPAM SPAM SPAM...grrr
Admin
SPAM SPAM SPAM...grrr 16 Years, 8 Months ago
I just wanted to drop you all a line and let you know that Divi, Glaive, and myself are quite aware of the SPAM problem flooding the forums. I alone am deleting 5-10 threads a day...very frustrating to say the least.

To date there is no solution. Anonymous posting is turned off. Folks are going through the trouble of registering then posting.

I have been researching over at Xoops forums for a solution but to date there isn't really any. It's a known issue and for now we just have to keep deleting SPAM post as they come in.

Additionally, I have been looking into alternatives but even if we go down the road of migrating to another CMS, it will be a while. It would be very laborious and take a considerable amount of time to migrate all the user & forum data.

So if your a Database wizard and have some extra time, and expect no compensation for your work then feel free to email me: actuel (at) gmail [dot] com. Not a very good sales pitch aye?...but that's just the truth.

Anyway, we'll continue to delete SPAM as it comes in. We all have jobs and lives, so it sometimes may take a minute. so be patient and consider buying some shoes :-D

peace
actuel
  The topic has been locked.
Hero of Winds
Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM...grrr 16 Years, 8 Months ago
Hehe, yeah it's annoying. Wish they'd get a life.
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
hey, I'll volunteer to delete any spam I see..
spam-police
:-D
Did you ever think about using a "CAPTCHA" module? You could set it up to work when accounts are created and/or before comments get posted... This might help with some of the spam!
Admin
Mr_E, yes and thx for the suggestion. But the people who are posting the spam are already going through the trouble to register, so adding one more step isn't going to change anything. With anonymous posting turned-off, as it is now, you have to be a registered user to post on the site. these spammers are registering as EU users.

additionally, we've considered making each new user have to get admin approval but again, this doens't assure us no spam. trust me, we're looking into all the available options.

thx
Admin
A little update, yesterday we installed a new component in the backend of the site that's said to assist in eliminating SPAM and malicious attacks. We'll see how it actually works but in the first 20 or so hours we've been SPAM free!

xing fingers!
Hero of Winds
Great! Hope it works!
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
King Koopa
MDUW Classic

www.orsankart.com
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
8-)

ONE IDEA!
put a spam filter on the "$" sign (they always list everything with a price)
maybe a limit of 3 "$" signs in a post..
Go to top Post Reply