As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear A4 Feature Requests (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: A4 Feature Requests
Re:A4 Feature Requests 11 Years, 4 Months ago
He's saying step skip, not step mute. Common on analog sequencers. Then we might as well get into reverse direction, brownian, random, etc.
That would all be awesome and welcome, but I wonder if it would be too difficult with however elektron have coded their sequencer.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Someone has probably posted something similar, but I'm too busy too read all the past requests to save double posting -

Project Save

and/or

Pattern saving with unique names

Saving KITS is not enough, I don't want to be stuck with using the 256 patterns which cannot be saved with unique names.
Goomba
Here are my feature requests after a week with the A4 (which is totally bad-ass, by the way!):

Performance Mode

When setting up the Performance knobs, it would be great to add a secondary option to the Track Destination. Currently, any tweaks to parameters in the Performance Mode affect not only the Track Sound, but also any other Locked Sound that happens on the track. Due to the fact that the A4 only has 4 voices, I'm employing the Sound Locks a lot, such as placing bass drums via Sound Lock in between notes of a bassline. If I set up a Performance Knob to tweak the filter of the bassline, it will also change the filter of the kick drum which I do not want. I therefore suggest the following:

Currently, you press on a knob to step through the track targets when configuring the knob. This remains as is. The additional feature would be to hold FUNCTION while pressing the knob--this would step through the following options: Performance affects entire track (which is the current behavior), Performance affects only the Track Sound (any Sound Locks will ignore the Performance values), and Performance affects only the Locked Sounds (this last option is a lesser use-case in my opinion, but I offer it here for the sake of completeness and a few instances where I could find it useful). These three states could be indicated in the same fashion used to indicate the Osc/Env/LFO Page being edited--A solid line above the track target indicates the first mode, a half line on the left indicates Track Sound Only mode, and a half line on the right indicates Sound Lock Only mode. Of course, if there is a better way to indicate these states, that's fine.

If the above is too much to implement, having a single option in the A4 that says "Performance only affects Track Sounds" would be OK. It would be all-or-nothing on all tracks rather than being knob-specific.

Sound Edit Mode

Sound Locks are SO AWESOME and quite essential on a synth like this so I'm very happy they are available. To really put them to use, though, I would like to be able to edit a Locked Sound in real-time. Here's what I propose:

In the Sound menu (FUNCTION + SOUND), a new option is added named "Edit Sound". Upon selecting this option, the normal sound browser interface would appear. You then select a sound as usual--in this case, it would be a sound that is currently used in the pattern via a Sound Lock--and press Enter. This would then enable Sound Edit mode.

The A4 would first take the parameters of the saved Sound and copy them into a backup buffer. It would then turn off all of the Track Select buttons on the right to indicate that you're editing a saved Sound instead of one of the Track Sounds.

Now, when you press any of the Sound Parameters buttons (OSC thru LFO) and make changes, those changes would be written immediately into the memory location of the selected Sound--this would result in hearing the changes immediately the next time the sound is triggered in the pattern--this would allow you to hear your edits in real-time and in context with the rest of the pattern.

Once you have made edits, you have two options: Press YES/SAVE if you wish to keep the new sound (at which point the A4 would simply discard the data in the backup buffer) or press NO/RELOAD to discard the changes (at which point the A4 copies the contents of the backup buffer back into the Sound location, reverting it to its original settings).

If there is not enough available memory on the A4 to create a backup buffer, I still think it would be OK if the edits you made were destructive. There's no undo (that I'm aware of) when editing a Track Sound, so being able to revert changes on a Sound Edit would only be a bonus but not mandatory.

Disable Quick Chaining

Another great feature in the A4 is the Direct Pattern Change. I want this on all of the Elektron devices! But for now, I'll just talk about the A4...

When using this new feature, I find myself constantly creating new Chains by accident. I'll be trying to bounce back and forth between patterns quickly and, quite often, I will not have removed my finger from one of the TRIG buttons before pressing the next--the A4 then interprets this as a Chain (the Chain LED then turns on automatically).

I would like a general preference to disable this "auto chaining" behavior. When this behavior is disabled, the only way to make a Chain would be to first press the CHAIN button to explicitly activate the mode--then it's obvious that you wish to create a Chain when pressing more than one TRIG button at the same time. But without CHAIN turned on, the A4 would simply load the pattern of the last-pressed TRIG button.

As a "bonus", but not as critical, would be a "mono-legato" style of pattern selection where I could hold TRIG 1, press TRIG 2 to have the A4 suddenly switch to pattern 2, then release TRIG 2 at which point the A4 jumps back to pattern 1 (because I'm still holding TRIG 1). This could allow quick "punch-ins" from other patterns. As I said, this wouldn't be as essential for me as simply disabling the auto-chaining.

QuickMute and QuickPattern modes

The various modes for the TRIG buttons that were introduced on the Octatrack are fantastic and I'd like to see something similar for the A4 since, to the best of my knowledge, the 16 TRIG buttons seem to serve no purpose during normal playback.

While I know requests have already been made for a QuickMute mode to allow one-handed muting (which I totally endorse--maybe the first 6 TRIG buttons toggle the mute state while the second 6 only do a temporary mute), I would also request a QuickPattern mode where the TRIGS will recall the pattern within the current Bank. This goes hand-in-hand with the Direct Pattern Change mode so that you can do quick changes without having to keep a finger planted on one of the BANK SELECT buttons.

During use, you could change the Bank Group and Bank as normal, but the pattern would not change until you finally pressed one of the TRIG buttons.

That's it for now! Thanks a lot, Elektron, for another great machine!
Cappy
Note cut itself would be great!! esp for CV
Chain Chomp
NWAQ wrote:
A less touchy mode for selections of parameters as opposed to stuff like filters or other paramers which are more scale-like, selecting waveforms etc is a bit iffy sometimes with the rotaries. Maybe even being able to use the arrow keys to go through values on a selected parameter?
It really, really needs something other than encoders for the mod matrix. How about the left and right arrows? I don't need to nudge the tempo while editing sounds, not sure about others.

Also, pressing the encoder should select your parameter while in the mod matrix just like it brings you into it.

Pressing the encoder while turning could snap to mid high and low points. If I'm using the notes to audition the sound while tweaking a knob it's super awkward to reach over to function... and if you press another note while holding function it goes to the additional page, which isn't what you want.

How about using the 16 trig buttons to select parameters while not in record mode? Press or turn the encoder and the LEDs light up with however many parameters there are. Press the trig button to switch to it. Press scale in the rare case of the mod matrices to move to other pages. By marking off every 8 parameters in the mod matrix it would be easy to learn how the parameters correspond to the LEDs.

Taking a coffee break after my first few hours with the a4. Super awesome!

This is my only interface complaint, but I think I'll end up getting very annoyed with it as I get better. Right now it's fun just experimenting, but when I get good and fast at working with parameters it'll be frustrating to have to slow down because of the encoders/lacking a precise way to select parameters.
Chain Chomp
I think LFO and envelope depths should be next to each other and not in-between the parameter selection knobs. I keep grabbing the wrong one.

God these filters are nice. Running CV sine wave at audio rate into the modular then sending it back into the Analog 4 to AM with the other oscillator and filter more! Fuck yeah, Elektron.

Neighbor machines are amazing. This is not a run of the mill synth!

I would like to see an option to adjust the overall sub oscillator volume on the second page though. When using neighbor machines or external audio it can be over powering. By the way, it can take very hot audio.
vst
Cappy
Seconded about using the arrow keys to change parameters. I was surprised that it didnt work that way.

It would also be nice to have the option to disengage either or both of the filters but I can live without that.

Oh, and a shortcut to make a parameter go to zero or none, and an option to unassign parts of a performance macro instead of zeroing out the depth.
Killer Beez
Pre fade reverb please.
Boo
octatrack, prophet 08, minibrute, SEM, RS-09, A4, Zed 14
Studio mode (like on the Octa) for separating tracks while recording.

the ability to slave the A4 via Din Sync (i think A4 only works as master at the moment)
Killer Beez
More resolution on the lower depths of the fx lfo would be great. I was trying to get some subtle wander last night and it's a bit wild to say the least.
Go to top Post Reply