As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Really need help with the fundamentals of RAM machines (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Really need help with the fundamentals of RAM machines
Goomba
Really need help with the fundamentals of RAM machines 11 Years, 5 Months ago
I'm just getting around to the Ram Machines on my machinedrum and trying to get the very basics down. Watched that Tutorial was just irritating me. and the manual doesn't fully outline the sequence requires to sample and then playback the sample.

anyone out there able to provide a step-by-step guideline? I'm at the point where I'm in the Ram Record machine and actively hearing what I want to record, but then actually capturing the sample is another story. help!? thanks in advance!
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
Re:Really need help with the fundamentals of RAM machines 11 Years, 5 Months ago
the manual explains it pretty clearly. you need two machines on two separate tracks, for Record and Playback. there's four of each, and they're tied together. put a RAM-R1 (record) on Track 13 and RAM-P1 (playback) on 14. whatever is recorded by the machine on 13 is played back (just like a normal UW ROM sample) on track 14.

as for recording, just make sure your settings are right and then place a trig on the step where you want it to start recording. it'll record for as long as you've set in the Length parameter and then stop.

lay down some trigs on 14 before you even try to record. as soon as you have something captured by the Recorder on 13, it'll start playing back immediately so you'll know if you got it right.
Goomba
Re:Really need help with the fundamentals of RAM machines 11 Years, 5 Months ago
Hi jbuonacc, an another question from a newbie. When I record with this method I have very distorded sound and larsen on my RAM-P1. What is the way to avoid it ?
Game & Watch
RAM machines are kind of bizarre ti start with ... it does take a while to get accustomed..

the "gain stage" for a RAM Record machine is by default zero for MLEV ...

this means, there is no input from the Machinedrum's Internal sounds )in other words, everything that is not coming from the Input A or .

the "gain stage" for the Machinedrum's External inputs is by default 64, essentially this means no extra gain on the volume of the Inputs. This parameter is called "ILEV".

So, the question there is, do you want to sample the Master output of the Machinedrum? If so, this means you are resampling. In this situation, you would Set MLEV to 64 or a bit less. Best to not go over 64, because that is pushing the gain stage and this ain't such a great idea in the digital realm as it can result in digital clipping, a type of harsh unorganic distortion that is unwanted.

Now, the LEN parameter if set to 127 (all the way right) will record two bars.

The RATE parameter is the quality ... set this to 127.

But there is a trick here to know about, and that is, to ensure you have about 240k free for each 2 bar loop you wish to record.

Why is this so?

Well, the Machinedrum stores a bit of extra RAM memory so you will always be able to record, but it does this by reducing the rate automatically if it detects you do not have enough RAM to record a 2 bar loop at the highest sampling rate.

So, if you check the file system in the Global, and look at how much memory is used ... well, if there is 90 percent used (as regards the RAM used by the wavs that have been stored in the Userwave ROM section), that means there is 10 percent free..

and 10 percent of 2.4mb = 240k.

So, that should be great for achieving a highest quality sample of 2 bars .. assuming the bpm is above 100bpm, for example. Because the lower the BPM, the longer the sample is going to be as more audio time is sampled.

If you are recording the Machinedrum only, then ILEV should be set to zero, because there is no need to have that as part of the sample.

that is for the RAM Record machine settings for resampling. also, set the RAM Record machine CUE1 and CUE2 to be zero, as there is no need to monitor what you want to record as it is resampling what is being played ... therefore the Cue (monitoring) levels should not be in that signal when the recording happens.

Quick tip re/ the RAM Play machine ...

Machinedrum machines load with a default "VOL" parameter of 127, all the way right.
But you really should go to the VOL parameter and set it to be 64 because this is the setting that does not apply gain staging to the machine's signal.

If the clip is not loud enough then, set the machine's "LEV" parameter to the highest tower possible because that does not push the gain at all.

Hopefully these ideas will help you to resample without distortion.

If you would like info regarding sampling the Inputs, they kind of work similarly although it is okay to use the Cue controls on the RAM Record machine to actually hear what you are sampling.

If you do not wish the Machinedrum's internal sounds to be sampled when you sample the external inputs, be sure to set the MLEV to zero.

set the ILEV to 64

and set the IBAL all the way left for sampling inputA
all the way right for sampling inputB
or in the middle to sample both at the same time equally.
Goomba
I just can say "thanks"

Clear,and perfect reply. I just have to apply now
Goomba
yes, thank you so much. still getting used to this!
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Rank31 wrote:
Hi jbuonacc, an another question from a newbie. When I record with this method I have very distorded sound and larsen on my RAM-P1. What is the way to avoid it ?

I think you meant 'listen', but I like the idea that 'Larsen' just appears with no explanation...
Goomba
Excuse me I'm french.
I though "larsen" was a english word too. But i checked and no.

"Effet larsen" translation is "feedback"
Cappy
MD MKII sps-1UW+
OS X
Live 8 suite
logic
Nord Stage EX
http://soundcloud.com/logeek1
Rank31 wrote:
Excuse me I'm french.
I though "larsen" was a english word too. But i checked and no.

"Effet larsen" translation is "feedback"

Merci bien!
Goomba
Hey- so when you're ready to capture/sample the audio, you simply press the Rom Play to listen to the audio then you dial over to the Rom Record, press whichever trigger, then record?

Sorry, I keep getting samples when I'm experimenting with it but not able to find the precise sequence required to sample! I'm coming from a modular background and fairly new to the Machinedrum realm which is blowing my mind every day.
Go to top Post Reply