As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT or Machinedrum as master tempo? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT or Machinedrum as master tempo?
Game & Watch
OT or Machinedrum as master tempo? 11 Years, 5 Months ago
Should the Machinedrum be master tempo?

If so, would that mean the OT could not swing, as it would be bpm synced to the OT?
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:OT or Machinedrum as master tempo? 11 Years, 5 Months ago
Hey PL,

Absolutely OT. I did some tests over here and the OT clock is much better! Don't know about the swing but the OT clock is rock solid. If you are recording, it's a must. If you are in a live set, you can choose.
Game & Watch
very cool ...

just ordered an OT today

i guess the swing thing only happens when an Elektron machine is not bpm synced to anything else?

in other words ... the "Swing" parameter is only going to "work", if an Elektron device is Master bpm tempo.

not sure if i am remembering incorrectly here ... but if say the Machinedrum is set to be master tempo, then it can apply swing to the playback of sequenced patterns.

and the same goes for the Octatrack, i would imagine.

but if the Machinedrum is set to be slave tempo,
then ... i think it will not swing?

the reason i ask is that swing is an integral part of my sequencing enjoyment.

Perhaps i should just wait until the OT arrives and see how things go from there.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
I use the OT as the master, and the MD's swing definitely still adjusts the timing. At least I hope I'm not being fooled.

King Koopa
A4 / MD UW+ / MNM / Nord Lead II / Waldorf XT
The MD (and presumably the OT too) will swing quite happily when synced to an external clock source. Even if you have a swing step on the beat of your master device, it won't affect what's transmitted as MIDI clock (as far as I know).
Game & Watch
cheers for responses ... it was a bizarre question, come to think of it ... glad to know that elektron devices are able to swing either as master tempo or slave to the bpm tempo.
the arps on the OT don't swing though, unfortunately

hope you like 8th notes
Arps rarely ever swing.
StinkyBeat wrote:
Arps rarely ever swing.

I can swing arps on Waldorf synths and Access synths. Just saying

And just because some arps don't swing, doesn't mean that Elektron's arps shouldn't. Would you lose anything if that feature was implemented or considered ?

In any case, the OT is a great master clock, its timing is close to impeccable.

Cheers !
Game & Watch
Just to clear this up, the MD and MnM swing setting is stepped when their clocks are slaved, e.g. They can still swing but u don't have as fine a control over the amount as when not slaved. . Or at least this is what it said I the manual somewhere. Pretty sure the octa doesn't suffer with this bit it is always master in my rig anyway.
Go to top Post Reply