As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Sounds Analog to Me (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Sounds Analog to Me
tmt
Goomba
Re:Sounds Analog to Me 11 Years, 6 Months ago
Many of the sounds in the demo use quite some delay.
There is probably something 'special' about the delay in the unit.
...might even be a tape hint in the logo
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
tMt wrote:

this
Killer Beez
3 brown dogs barking at each other....
lostinthemanual wrote:
tMt wrote:

this

Don't they all have tape style delay though.

The saturation on the delay does sound more analogue to me which maybe indicates an analogue filter or overdrive which I still think the OD stands for....

Though its been hinted it has digital filters.
Cappy
Perhaps the left hand side has a load of real tape on it, roland re-201 stylee
Cappy
OT, A4, Blofeld
a little bit more details and sounddemos would be nice

multimodefilter?
FX?
price-range?

i´m just check up some things i´m going to sell in the next weeks

if this is a true superfine machine, i will once again reduce all my gear to a minimum
Killer Beez
I'd still love a screen less box with loads of hands on solid controls on the other side for the sequencer/external stuff. Doubt it though.
Chain Chomp
PlayRecords wrote:
SecretMusic wrote:
SBSIX wrote:
Its the same with all other cool gear. I've been beta testing a tempest for more than a year now.

same here

How you getting on with it?

It's a love/hate relationship

I use it as a synth too, sometimes with some drumsamples from the digital oscs. It fails as an analog drummachine imho. No matter what you do, the drums always sound kinda flat and lack punch. It needs post-processing with eq's and compressors to sound good. The samples also sound a bit degraded sometimes. I still have trouble to understand why machines from decades ago sound much better.

The fun part is that you can sketch out ideas on it while sitting on the couch. The synth sounds are very nice, in the same league as the tetra. Not evolverish. Mainly because the wavetable oscs are more harsh on the tempest and on the evolver each voice goes thru 2 filters (left/right) for those nice wide stereo sounds.
But everytime I play the tempest, I get cool sounds, that's what counts.

I've lost a bit of faith in the updates for the tempest. It's been more then a year now, and little progress has been made. The main developer is not working fulltime on the tempest anymore and some basic things still don't work (like a full midi implementation, aftertouch, glide on digital oscs, etc etc). The last half year or so he worked on the playlist feature, which caused all kinds of sync problems in other area's.
Boo
good speculative work guys..i like where this is going!

i'm getting convinced there is going to be a total left field surprise, surely on the 1/4 missing left side of the unit. maybe a vaccum tube amp which would comply with the OD theorists, but korg has done that for years..not very original and we all know elektron like to innovate with their products. real tape delay, now that definitely hasn't been attempted in recent gear, would go along with the "Tradition" tagline and explain the depth of the unit and yes the new logo does remind of a tape recording icon, but all that being said it's pretty unthinkable given the rarity of analog tape and the fragility & complex maintenance involved with it (i know i own a re-201). so perhaps somewhere in between, like bbd delay (which is analog) or maybe some kind of hybrid solution we can't think of but i agree with whoever that mentioned the delay, from the demos it really sounds special, definitely some kind of technology not used by them previously..

@SBSIX: very good assessment on tempest, couldn't agree more..
Killer Beez
Or a turntable.... or a multi track tape recorder.
Cappy
www.soundcloud.com/nikarga
Access Virus Ti Polar | Jazzmutant Lemur | Apollo UAD Quad | MPC 5000 | Mac Pro 2x3.2 Quad | Octatrack | Machinedrum UW
maybe an ipad dock...

YUUUUUUUUK
Go to top Post Reply