As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW)
MK7
Killer Beez
Re:Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) 11 Years, 7 Months ago
Great ideas! What works best for me, though, is to never stop turning some knobs. I prefer classic mode + hand work, this ensures movement due to human flexibility+imprecision. Might sound obvious, but it makes a huge difference if the MD is used passively, standing in the background and receiving a mute command here and there or if one hand is assigned to MD automations. How nice would it be without that restriction to 2 hands good reason to make music with friends, not alone.

EDIT: one "trick" that I'm sure most people oversee although/because it's so or maybe too obvious. use the trig buttons to manually add tension during build-ups.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
For the trick void came up with it's probably worthwhile to connect a delay pedal between the output and the trig input - then you can play with different delay times, different repeats, wet/dry ratios, etc.
MK7
Killer Beez
Nice one. Or use the OT for that?
Cappy
Julien
> ableton certified trainer
> max/msp/jitter expert
thanks for this thread (too)

I'm a very fresh user of MD + MnM and I'm especially interested in long LFO (with a s&h mode to have noisy strange variations) and glitch/beat repeat like rhythm fx.

if the first one is totally ok (the on/off modulation by another LFO is totally insane and it works very fine), the second one seems less obvious for me.
On stage, I want to be able to sample the whole stuff, repeat it and glitch/destroyed it then to come back to the first initial stuff. I'll make a conf for that .... ASAP
MK7
Killer Beez
@glitch/beat repeat: a lot can be done with ram machines. i developed a little trick some time back: ramicizer patterns. record a groove to ram, then switch to a ramicizer bank of patterns, say bank b. in this bank, all kits consist of nothing but play machines so that you have plenty of space for tweaking and all non-ram sound sources get "muted" automatically. tweak your ram to hell and jump back to the patterns with usual content.
Cappy
Julien
> max/msp/jitter expert
MK7 wrote:
@glitch/beat repeat: a lot can be done with ram machines. i developed a little trick some time back: ramicizer patterns. record a groove to ram, then switch to a ramicizer bank of patterns, say bank b. in this bank, all kits consist of nothing but play machines so that you have plenty of space for tweaking and all non-ram sound sources get "muted" automatically. tweak your ram to hell and jump back to the patterns with usual content.

It seems a nice way.
It would mean I'd have to switch pattern to do that. I guess I'll probably use that in the same pattern.
All pattern could be designed like that:
- 8 tracks for my rhythmic
- 1 for the MnM
- 1 for the CTRALL
- 2 for RAM R
- 2 for RAM P
- 1 for a CTR8p to control the RAM Machines (in one parameter I'd like to be able to record and mix it directly to the output and cutting the MD to let play only the RAM players killing, breaking etc..)

And I definitively want to connect the MnM to the MD now (currently still MD connected to MnM)
MK7
Killer Beez
@Julien: the approaches differ in the pace with which you can vary the way how trigs are set, with some p-locked to reversed direction etc. your setup reflects how i would set usual patterns up, maybe just mono with 1 play, 1 record track.
Chain Chomp
I just got my MDUW two days ago and it has kept me up both nights because of its awesomeness, I cannot pull myself away from it. I prefer to be in front of the MDUW and not in front of my textbooks!

If I had to choose just one Elektron box it would be the MDUW hands down but I am glad I do not have to choose and I am lucky enough to have all three.

I absolutely love the MDUW!!!!

This thread is priceless, LUV IT!!!!!
Cappy
Julien
> max/msp/jitter expert
MK7 wrote:
@Julien: the approaches differ in the pace with which you can vary the way how trigs are set, with some p-locked to reversed direction etc. your setup reflects how i would set usual patterns up, maybe just mono with 1 play, 1 record track.

I just made a very short video illustrating what I had in mind and I guess I'll work like that.
I need a stable setups for each live situation. That one will be for my idm live performances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvcGSRFtP4
Goomba
void's suggestion of using the trigger in is craziness. never thought about that function for MD, really brilliant.

something i'm surprised hasnt been mentioned is shifting beats. if you hold FUNCTION+arrow keys you can move all the trigs on a single track around. this is great for on the fly rhythmic variations. also, if you change the loop length, then use FUNCT+arrow keys, it will only affect the current loop length. another nice way to create interesting variations. just be sure to save your original pattern to a different location before doing this
Go to top Post Reply