As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW)
Game & Watch
Re:Creating Movement Within Beats (MD-UW) 11 Years, 7 Months ago
yes! .... not sure how tho.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Octatrack | MnM SFX60 | KP3
Machinedrum SuperSlow LFO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZU40hNWVAE

Machinedrum 32 Op FM Synthesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUscpJDZtw&feature=relmfu

Machinedrum UW CTR-AL tweak demo "Control"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYqnlM-iKw&feature=related

don´t forget: http://tarekith.com/assets/machinedrum_tipsandtricks.htm

my favorite:
Using RAM Machine Feedback as a soundsource:

Last night I realized that with the UW, you can use the cue-feedback as an instrument and sound source. This meens that you can make music using RAM Machines only.

No there's nothing in the RAM before, and it's retrigged and reset every time the patterns loops. This is why it sounds different all the time, try it:

1. Add a RAM Record machine.
2. Set Mlev to max.
3. Set an LFO to Cue1, Updte: Trig, Depth: Max, Speed: whatever you like, shape: I_ (falling sawtooth).
4. Play with the filter to soften it down.

There you go.. a really weird and unstable ocillator, but cool.

It's just about forcing the RAM Playback Machine to different things no matter what's inside it. Fast pitch env to do kick/snare, hipass and short decay to have some kind of hihat sound, etc. Live was mainly about pressing mutes, changing the RAM Record Machine filter (which is also affected by a lfo) and sometimes function+pitch or Samplerate Reduction. Also if you want it less chaotic you could just set the rec length to something short like 6-7, then it's actually quite stable. You can just release the monsters by turning that up later. Oh and of course, you can easily just freeze the sound by muting the rec channel since then the ram content just stays solid until you unmute it again.

Another thing that makes it more alive is that I had the rec length set for the full pattern. On top of that, the start setting is param-locked all over the sample. This makes everything change a bit but at the same time keep fragments from the last cycle... or something.

- Kotton BBB

I just gave this a shot. Try these settings for starters (in addition to the one's Kotten mentions) - certain settings will get you absolutely nothing:

LFO Speed - Keep it on the low side - say 40.
LFO Shape - Does seem to matter - try saw or tri.
LFO Shape Mix - Start out all the way counter-clockwise (0).

Synth Cue1 - Start out @ 0 - almost seems like a decay setting as you move up Synth ILev - W/ Cue1 low, sort of soften things up like a 3/6db LP filter.

Track effects - start w/ everything @ default.

Now start pointing some of those extra LFOs towards the track effects.

Kind of sounds like a tri/saw kind of mix before filtering/amplitude mod/etc. For some reason, I was expecting a Sin. Well, I guess it is a Sin w/ some clipping/brr/srr going on.

Can it hurt anything? Start out w/ the track level low so you protect your speakers but aside from that I doubt it - it's probably the noise floor forced into clipping.
Killer Beez
hi cupcake.

One of my favourites is.

set an lfo to target something like snare snap or shaker grains or filter cutoff. whatever really.

choose the sample and hold lfo and set the update choice to hold.

fine tune the lfo depth to get a subtle variation. The key is don't have it doing too much. Now you have a more natural sounding randomness to the drum sounds.
Cappy
Man love this thread this is the kind of thing that makes this forum great and drew me to the Elektron world!

yeah this thread is gold, I can testify that things that seem small or unimportant at first can have a huge impact on the feel of a pattern. I usually end up using atleast 8 of the 16 LFO's, tons of p-locks and manual tweaking with a ctrl-8 machine and also the olde function+tweak and reset trick (all described earlier). Also for shakers or hats placed on every step of the sequence , hitting record and tweaking the length/volume/dist parameters creates a much more natural emphasis on the groove, instead of just having say short/closed hats on steps 1,2,4,5,6 etc and open hats on 3, 7,11 etc which sound much more rigid and programmed.

Also remembering the good Higsage on this board talking about creating sounds that sort of lean into step 3,7,11,15 or step 5 and 13 that creates a feeling of being pulled forward, into the beat. After experimenting with this stuff turned a bit groovier. Mind you this stuff is mainly geared toward the techno/house/ 4 to the floor dance grooves, but I bet it would work fine in any groove.

Never thought about going haywire with the fucntion+tweak, then copy the pattern when it hits a real sweet spot, need to try that on the next live switching between classic and extended mode works well to shake things up a bit too, I find it useful for short variations, like the last 8 steps of a pattern etc.

Again, this thread is gold, I need to experiment a bit with the RAM feedback trick now
Boo
A way to make thing less rigid is to recordto casette / tape the single groups like kick, hats, snare, perc etc into your workstation. All the beat after that will feel less rigid and a little bit wonky due to bad timing of certain casette/tape recorders. Tried on my own and I liked the result. My two cents
Boo
A way to make thing less rigid is to recordto casette / tape the single groups like kick, hats, snare, perc etc into your workstation. All the beat after that will feel less rigid and a little bit wonky due to bad timing of certain casette/tape recorders. Tried on my own and I liked the result. My two cents
previewlounge wrote:

also, before reverting to the saved kit, you can copy the pattern (containing the same notes but with all the tweaked out tweakiness) ...

then revert ...

then paste the pattern to recall the super tricked out parameter tweaks

then revert...

I knew the tweak revert. But not that pasting copied Tweaks would not loose the original pattern. All without having to save a 2nd kit. Wow.
Game & Watch
^^ yes, and also, after doing the initial revert, then pasting the 'tweaked' version of the pattern back again, it is possible to 'revert' by just 'pasting' again, as this undoes the paste of the tweaked pattern, thereby allowing for jumping between the two version with the same button combo.

awesome idea MPRT, re/ tape!

i have occasionally experienced GAS to acquire an 8-track recorder...

a long time ago enjoyed the use of a Fostex 4-track, that was a lot of fun.

but for now, a simple solution would be a cool cassette recording, that could be radical...
and a groovy library of cassette recording archives ... love it!

also something very cool, the approach that TronDC documented a while ago..

p-locking things like the bassdrum to stay in place,
say for example on the filter and pitch on a step,
whenever there is a trig in the bassdrum pattern sequence...

this way, if using Function-tweak the filter and pitch, everything is effected, although when the bassdrum plays, it will not be effected, because the filter and pitch are p-locked.

well, if doing a Function-tweak directly while a bassdrum trig plays, the effect will be heard, but otherwise, the bassdrum remains the same.

this can be very interesting for a number of different instrument options.
MK7
Killer Beez
very interesting thread! I'm gonna try especially the RAM osc idea and paste pattern to revert to the tweaked state.
Go to top Post Reply