As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Jomox 888 anybody? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Jomox 888 anybody?
Re:Jomox 888 anybody? 11 Years, 7 Months ago
ah, no worries. i like the idea of a full-size all-analogue MFB drum machine too. i love the sounds in the 522. recently set up the MD to sequence it - lots of fun.
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
MDUW+MkII
MnM60MkII
OT
A4
Airbase99
JV1080
VirusTI2
Minibrute
Space
TimeFactor
Dude the Jomox airbase 99 is tha dogs balls as long as it has the most recent firmware...

the airbase and the MD are a match made in Heaven

Such a pleasure to deal with

FO REAL

:lars
Chain Chomp
I had a Jomox 888 for a while and had the same complaints in the end. Didn't like the interface at all, sound was nice but only in isolation etc.
As someones mentioned you could take look at Acidlab Miami or a tr 909 instead.

There's also this but not out yet. Would be good sequencing it with the MD.
http://mracidmachine.com/
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
Ok guys,

You know what I'm actually thinking? EMU SP 12!!!
Cappy
Re:Jomox 888 anybody? 11 Years, 6 Months ago
i had a X-Base09. The sound was great and very special but the possibilities are very limited and the quality is a little bad. With midi cc from a elektron machine you can handle it. I keep my m-base01 because this fatty kickdrum i want never miss
Goomba
Re:Jomox 888 anybody? 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I'm looking for a really clean, punchy drum modern sounding for melodic techno / tech-house that doesn't require much processing to sound good. I'm not so into 909 sounds as it seems to date techno music too much to the early 90s. I like the 808 kick, snare and hats but probably wouldn't use the toms or cowbell for example. I just like solid kick, snare, clap, closed hat - quite minimal drums maybe with a melodic top loop of congas. Low tom for the bass is useful too. What I'm really hoping for is to get a diverse variety of sounds so you can tweak things like a cowbell / tom or conga so it sounds like something unique. Is this possible? Is the Jomox right for me? I really don't like old school electro sounding drums. My Future Retro XS seems to get a ton of perceived volume so I have to significantly lower it so it doesn't overpower my in the box stuff. I'm not sure why but I want that from a drum machine for sure. Would give me loads more headroom.

I do like the elektron workflow but am concerned that I won't like the MD sound as I don't even like the A4 sound all that much. I've also toyed with getting an Octactrack and using it as a drum machine / synth but really it's far more fun creating a sound than endless auditioning of samples.

I prefer the sound of the 888 to the 999 and like the extra features such as metalizer and kick envelope but have a couple of questions before I buy:

1) I can't see to find them for sale anywhere new. I've looked at all the usual places - Jomox website, Schneiders, Thomann, Juno etc. They only seem to be selling the 999 now. Where can I get one? It leads me to think it may be discontinued or in the process of becoming discontinued. Any word on any new Jomox drum machines or perhaps Jomox are reducing their range up since the OS is interchangeable?

2) I read you can load the 888 OS on the 999 is that correct? Can you load the 999 OS on the 888 also? If you load the 888 OS on the 999 do you lose the step filter functionality anyway?

3) Have the bugs people mentioned many years ago been ironed out? What bugs are there? I notice it's been quite a while since any firmware updates.

4) Parameter locks - how do these work vs elektron - I read something about them being fixed once you have set them so they can't be adjusted after that and you can only either leave it as it is or go back to the original sound and start again? How exactly do they work?

5) Can you also record tweaks live and save them?

Thanks
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Wow, you're right...I can't find the 888 for sale anywhere! I guess there weren't enough sales to justify both 888 and 999 being produced, so they stuck with the 999 which can take on the 888 OS. If you're worried about a piece of gear keeping up with your XS, 888 should not be of concern...they both run pretty damned hot.

I don't agree with you on the A4 though. I think that's the best sounding Elektron box out there, and can hold its own against every analog synth/drum machine out there - but you have to make use of its sequencer and p-locks.

Edit: if you have any doubts about the A4, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Q1GOhPChk

EREKRTONA ANAROGA 4!! ftw!!
Yoshi
Barfunkel wrote:
Sorry for being unclear. There are no clips yet for the new MFB, I was just judging from the old MFB drummachine clips, which I rather like. The new one will hopefully sound even better!

https://soundcloud.com/mfb-instruments/mfb-tanzb-r-preset-pattern-1-2

It's available in Europe now (I think).
Game & Watch
Made In Machines wrote:
I'm looking for a really clean, punchy drum modern sounding for melodic techno / tech-house that doesn't require much processing to sound good. I'm not so into 909 sounds as it seems to date techno music too much to the early 90s. I like the 808 kick, snare and hats but probably wouldn't use the toms or cowbell for example. I just like solid kick, snare, clap, closed hat - quite minimal drums maybe with a melodic top loop of congas. Low tom for the bass is useful too. What I'm really hoping for is to get a diverse variety of sounds so you can tweak things like a cowbell / tom or conga so it sounds like something unique. Is this possible? Is the Jomox right for me? I really don't like old school electro sounding drums. My Future Retro XS seems to get a ton of perceived volume so I have to significantly lower it so it doesn't overpower my in the box stuff. I'm not sure why but I want that from a drum machine for sure. Would give me loads more headroom.

I do like the elektron workflow but am concerned that I won't like the MD sound as I don't even like the A4 sound all that much. I've also toyed with getting an Octactrack and using it as a drum machine / synth but really it's far more fun creating a sound than endless auditioning of samples.

I prefer the sound of the 888 to the 999 and like the extra features such as metalizer and kick envelope but have a couple of questions before I buy:

1) I can't see to find them for sale anywhere new. I've looked at all the usual places - Jomox website, Schneiders, Thomann, Juno etc. They only seem to be selling the 999 now. Where can I get one? It leads me to think it may be discontinued or in the process of becoming discontinued. Any word on any new Jomox drum machines or perhaps Jomox are reducing their range up since the OS is interchangeable?

2) I read you can load the 888 OS on the 999 is that correct? Can you load the 999 OS on the 888 also? If you load the 888 OS on the 999 do you lose the step filter functionality anyway?

3) Have the bugs people mentioned many years ago been ironed out? What bugs are there? I notice it's been quite a while since any firmware updates.

4) Parameter locks - how do these work vs elektron - I read something about them being fixed once you have set them so they can't be adjusted after that and you can only either leave it as it is or go back to the original sound and start again? How exactly do they work?

5) Can you also record tweaks live and save them?

Thanks

no proper synth drum machine sounds like you want stright from the box...the styles you named are based on samples with heavy processing

for studio work I´d go with the OT and a good chosen set of drums, maybe arranged in sample strings of 64 for easy browsing using slices...I bet it´s not that hard to choose 64 kicks that you like...and honeslty I think you should be OK with much less than this number

then process then with some of the onboard stuff...I use looooong samples and then fade them out with the amp envelope, so I can control the lenght of the sounds to a certain degree

also, you can choose a (much smaller) set of samples and load a MDUW with them, but you loose the hi-end sound quality of the OT and also the stereo (that can be faked with 2 samples)
Boo
drum'n'noise: http://www.speakonion.com
NYC's wreckedest sounds: http://www.immigrantbreastnest.com
Your FRXS is a VERY capable drum/percussion synth and would pair really well with an OT. You can make your own drum sounds (especially if you run the XS through a mixer or channel strip for a touch of EQ and maybe some saturation) and put them in the OT for sequencing and further processing. I love this combo, and have found it really capable of a wide variety of kicks, snares, hats, blips, etc. Another good technique would be to keep a few simple drum hit samples in the OT (say, one set of 808 samples and one set of acoustic drum samples), and run them out through the XS for processing.

With that setup, you're not flipping through a ton of samples, and you're spending time creating your own sounds, but you have all the power of the OT's sequencing and processing available on the XS's ample synthesis. The music I make is way different than what you're talking about, but the combo of XS and OT has been awesome for me, especially for drums.
Go to top Post Reply