As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Other Gear Midicommand community (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Midicommand community
Goomba
Re:Midicommand community 11 Years, 11 Months ago
unfortunately i get an error when uploading the firmware

Error uploading - Directory problem. Cannot move file.

nevertheless, the firmware can be downloaded under:

http://www.alexhasten.de/tuneupv015.zip

The firmware contains two pages, which can be switched with button 1. On the first page the transpose mechanism and the chord mechanism can be enabled or disabled, as well as the current key can be selected. On the second page different settings for the chord mechanism can be selected. One midi cable has to be connected with the 1th midi in port and another midi cable has to be connected to the midi out port. When chord mode is activated just play around with some single notes and see what chords are played. I will make some better version of the firmware the next days showing the current played chord.

the midi channel cc1 selects the type of chord played.

there are some minor bugs that only one note is allowed to be played by the user at any time and that you cannot play notes overlapping, the next firmware will allow you to play notes overlapping, but the first limitation will still remains.

i think i will make some different "use"-mode where cc1 select the root octave and the pitch of the notes played select the key and the chord type: c1: major c, c2: minor c, c3: major c7 etc.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Me too I'm rather in the same boat. I bought the MC thinking I would use it with my MD but sold that to get an octatrack so am very keen to participate in whatever anyone else is doing for the monomachine and octatrack.. though I'm def no coder by any means.
Boo
Alex Hasten wrote:

nevertheless, the firmware can be downloaded under:

http://www.alexhasten.de/tuneupv015.zip

Awesome - looking forward to checking this out, thanks for sharing this

I'll try and get around to uploading some more of my old firmware experiments this weekend, they might be of interest to someone out there.. that is if the site will let me upload
Yoshi
So... whats the plan?

Shall we look into setting up some kind of Wiki or something?
I have a unused Domain, should i make a little Minicommand-Users Forum with a Files section out of it?
Boo
Hey Rusty,

I'm keen to help out with content where i can but haven't got time to set up / admin a wiki...

I also would be wary of "reinventing the wheel", i think Manuel has made a good start with the Ruin Wesen redmine wiki, if you're really keen to get something going then maybe try to speak to him to see what his long term plans for the project are?

I did notice that the R&W site seems to be down at the moment, i hope this isn't the end for the minicommand, i sent manuel an email but not heard back from him yet..

in other news i've almost got my MNM Mono/Poly firmware up and running, will post it up when i get a chance

in other not so great news i think i might have broken a bone in my left wrist.. typing is fr1gging painful...
Yoshi
dubathonic wrote:
I still use my MC regularly, but I don't code at all and I don't know how many users (other than you guys) know enough to develop firmwares. I stick with a few that I find useful and though I've imagined one I'd *really* like, I have done little more than conceive of it.

Well... I'm no expert coder or anything, but like you, I've imagined one that I want, and thats what I'm trying to do

dubathonic wrote:
The last time I talked to Manuel was around New Year's, and he said he might have been a bit optimistic about how many users would be into learning/writing code.

I think it's not just how many user would be into learning/writing the code, I think part of it is the high cost of entry, knowledge wise, to be able to do so. Certainly imho, the existing doco/exmaples are a bit of a mess, so can feel a bit lost in the woods at times...

maass wrote:
I have a unused Domain, should i make a little Minicommand-Users Forum with a Files section out of it?

If you are up for it... but see below comments?

Tyrone wrote:
I'm keen to help out with content where i can but haven't got time to set up / admin a wiki...

Likewise. But I think group collabartion, more interested, the more knowledge can spread kind of thing.

Tyrone wrote:
I also would be wary of "reinventing the wheel", i think Manuel has made a good start with the Ruin Wesen redmine wiki, if you're really keen to get something going then maybe try to speak to him to see what his long term plans for the project are?

I did notice that the R&W site seems to be down at the moment, i hope this isn't the end for the minicommand, i sent manuel an email but not heard back from him yet..

Full agree on the "reinventing the wheel" comment, would be good to see/hear Manuels comments on the future of the MiniCommand and the redmine wiki etc. I'll flick him an email, and see if a response is forthcoming, but it hasn't previously, and based on what PaperTiger said, probably won't be.

I think (as we've discussed before) the hardest part is probably the high barrier to entry, certainly it has been for me, where not quite knowing where to start, how exactly to do things etc. (Frustrating thing for me is I can code exactly what I want to do, from a logical perspective in other languages, but struggling to translate that to the MiniCommand framework.

Tyrone wrote:
in other news i've almost got my MNM Mono/Poly firmware up and running, will post it up when i get a chance

That would be excellent. Always interested in what other peeps are doing.

I'm still stuck on getting it to recognise Program Change messages

Tyrone wrote:
in other not so great news i think i might have broken a bone in my left wrist.. typing is fr1gging painful...

Ah shit dude, that sucks. Hope you get better soon
Boo
Rusty wrote:
dubathonic wrote:
I I've imagined one I'd *really* like, I have done little more than conceive of it.

Well... I'm no expert coder or anything, but like you, I've imagined one that I want, and thats what I'm trying to do

I was thinking of starting a Minicommand firmware ideas / request thread here in the "Other Gear" section... no guarantees that ideas will always be realised into actual firmwares as it would effectively be a "charity" based system, but if ppl have firmware ideas but not the tech skills to code it then this might increase the chance of something happening..

Rusty wrote:

yeah I noticed yesterday that my MNM was no longer responding to program changes being sent from my OT. I've changed my config around and midi out from the OT is now going through the minicommand before getting to the MNM. I suspect that the minicommand might be filtering all of the program changes, even though i have merge settings to "All". or i might have just messed up my MNM config... but i doubt it... might need to investigate this further, it might be related to your issue...

I also have a version of my MNM mono/poly firmware ready to post, i'll try and get it up on the net when i can (the firewalls at work suck!)
Yoshi
Tyrone wrote:
Rusty wrote:
dubathonic wrote:
I I've imagined one I'd *really* like, I have done little more than conceive of it.

I was thinking of starting a Minicommand firmware ideas / request thread here in the "Other Gear" section... no guarantees that ideas will always be realised into actual firmwares as it would effectively be a "charity" based system, but if ppl have firmware ideas but not the tech skills to code it then this might increase the chance of something happening..

Aw, shucks. Thats really nice/awesome of you.

I'd be happy to pitch in once skill sets got better.

Tyrone wrote:
Rusty wrote:

yeah I noticed yesterday that my MNM was no longer responding to program changes being sent from my OT. I've changed my config around and midi out from the OT is now going through the minicommand before getting to the MNM. I suspect that the minicommand might be filtering all of the program changes, even though i have merge settings to "All". or i might have just messed up my MNM config... but i doubt it... might need to investigate this further, it might be related to your issue...

I also have a version of my MNM mono/poly firmware ready to post, i'll try and get it up on the net when i can (the firewalls at work suck!)

I'm going to try and have another look at it (mine) this week as well. See if I can figure anything out this time. Annoying as it compiles ok/no errors, jsut doesn't seem to work as wanted.
Boo
Rusty wrote:
Tyrone wrote:
Rusty wrote:
dubathonic wrote:

I was thinking of starting a Minicommand firmware ideas / request thread ..

Aw, shucks. Thats really nice/awesome of you.

I'd be happy to pitch in once skill sets got better.

haha, just to set the expectation, I was in no way volunteering to take everyone's ideas and magically turn them into minicommand firmwares... it was more about setting something up where people could put ideas up, which might provide inspiration for developers, etc..

Rusty wrote:

I'm going to try and have another look at it (mine) this week as well. See if I can figure anything out this time. Annoying as it compiles ok/no errors, jsut doesn't seem to work as wanted.

are you able to pass/echo a program change message through your minicommand to your target device? i suspect that it's probably just something that is still an undocumented "TODO" in the framework, i came across a few of those while figuring out the mono/poly firmware, like the notehandler object... it exists but all of the methods are empty...
Go to top Post Reply