As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Your Music Re:how can i release an album? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:how can i release an album?
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
Re:how can i release an album? 11 Years, 12 Months ago
I agree with the sentiment that you need to have a clear + concrete reason to 'release' an album (as opposed to putting a set of tracks up on soundcloud). Releasing an album really means doing a lot of promotion to get it some attention, and that is easily as much if not more work than making the music in the first place. Fact of the matter is that what's known about is often more correlated with what's being pushed the hardest, rather than what's good

i just want people to listen to what i do. A CD is something i would hand out to friends, relatives, etc.

If you want friends, relatives to listen, maybe just do a small run of CDs (50-100ish), silkscreen them yourself, and make it really personal. That's an awesome way to make your music more tangible, and by making an object that you obviously put time and effort into (people seem to get that way more with packaging than with the music itself), the people you give it to will be infinitely more inclined to actually listen to it than if you send them a link 'Hey! Check out my new tracks on soundcloud!'.

I think the other question to ask yourself is whether you want to showcase something that you think is mediocre? Like I say, if you want to 'release' an album, the work involved with that is going to be way more than what you're describing as your music-making process.

I believe my music is mediocre because i don't take it very very seriously.
i sit and play then i master a bit.
I don't make corrections to it that much.
Whatever you hear is what i played those few minutes.
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
WTSduplication.com has really cheap short run pricing.

100 CDs in 4 panel digipaks are like $209. If you are just giving them away, you can get away with a simple full color cardboard sleeve. You can order 100 CDs in sleeves for $125. Cheap!
Chain Chomp
Electron Full Arsenal
http://soundcloud.com/orys
GeneralBigBag wrote:
I think the other question to ask yourself is whether you want to showcase something that you think is mediocre? Like I say, if you want to 'release' an album, the work involved with that is going to be way more than what you're describing as your music-making process.

That killed me.........
Killer Beez
Orys wrote:

is my music so shitty that it hasn't ever been on a damn compilation?
i would pay to get a song of mine on a compilation CD.

Your music is great orys. It has a lot of expression which often beats high production values (most of your tunes sound good to me from that respect as well though.)

If you express yourself and enjoy making music then some people will identify and like that.

I think a major step for you would be to take away the gear links/pics from your promos. The majority of listeners don't care what it's made with and that can sometimes distract from the music and just look like an advert. Someone will listen to the machine and not the music. I am impressed with the variety of sound and arrangements from op1 though.

One day I might well get a concept, sound and packaging together to produce a product. Stopping posting on soundcloud has helped this. I feel like I'm nurturing something and building a portfolio ready for people to hear it fresh like the good old days.
Killer Beez
The home of Future BASF
http://soundcloud.com/ookpikk
Orys wrote:
GeneralBigBag wrote:

That killed me.........

Hey Orys - I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic. Like I say, if your goal is to make something concrete for your friends to be able to hold in their hands, then releasing an album is as simple as designing the packaging and ordering a bunch of cds/records. I personally think that this sort of thing can be awesome, and if you put a decent effort in to the presentation, you can come up with something really special and unique.

On the other hand, if your goal in 'releasing an album' is to get some attention from the outside world, that's a whole different story, and that's where my comments about work come from.
Go to top Post Reply