As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: New OT Lab
Cappy
Re:New OT Lab 12 Years ago
i need a big warm facepalm icon for myself right now - i seem to be blind to massive tree structure forum topics but am attracted by red letters to the right
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
...i went deeper down that rabbit hole of sound design for a second time

http://soundcloud.com/danieldoor/puma-vs-ed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkC1bIMWvXQ
enjoy!

for the next lab i vote for live stream input processing. and maybe i get the terms wrong, but IMHO "resampling" in the OT would be the process of sampling an already sampled sample again as a loop/drone/melody with FX and stuff, right? if that's right, we should avoid it in future labs. but with live stream input it would only be natural to place rec trigs....

thank you all for that great lab - i still have hope there's some more entries just around the corner and can't wait to record it all to a cassette for long train rides
Sounds great Door
King Koopa
machinedrum sps-1 mkI
monomachine mkII
octatrack Dps-1
2x roland jx3p
roland spd-s
korg prophecy
microkorg
crumar Ds2
crumar bit one
yamaha su-10
EV-
second try sounds like cheese
have to say creatin a low bass sound with combfilter and filter does seem difficult the bass isnt that low as it was at first getting real low bass sounds seems to kill my main output sounds
(turned up the main volume and got massive audio drop outs on main output)
the bass just cuts out while sounding great on the headphone
solved it by putting main out at +64 and turned down the volume bass makin it more flat then fat maybe i'm missing something here any ideas how to get these bass sound so low and perfect so you get a slapping bass ? well hope you all like it.

http://soundcloud.com/storm-op-de-maan/otlab2-kaas
Last one from me.

Spawned from an idea discussed over a couple of cans of Coke in my back garden with tIB, this is 4 tracks with cascading Track Recorders. Only Track 1 has white noise sample. The rest is done with a mixture of Recording and Playback trigs.

Track 1 = white noise
Track 2 = recording Track 1
Track 3 = recording Track 2
Track 4 = recording Track 3

And Track 1 also has p-locked Playback trigs in the Pattern that play the recording buffer from Tracks 2, 3 and 4

Amazing what variation you can get by placing playback trigs live and varying the lengths of the recording buffers during playback.

What a fucking machine!

It's a bit longer than the 'rules' allow but what the hell

http://soundcloud.com/neilbaldwin/eff-bee-bee
Admin
tIB was here
^ incredibly good!
Cappy
Pourquoi restez-vous là à regarder le ciel ?
Here is my contribution
http://soundcloud.com/berimbaujack/ot-lab-white-noising

Remark : with all the comments in this thread, it is quite complicated and to find all the compositons made for this lab.
neilbaldwin wrote:

And Track 1 also has p-locked Playback trigs in the Pattern that play the recording buffer from Tracks 2, 3 and 4

Amazing what variation you can get by placing playback trigs live and varying the lengths of the recording buffers during playback.

Sounds great Neil, and you've lost me...can you spell out how the above is done?
Lindsay wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

Sounds great Neil, and you've lost me...can you spell out how the above is done?

I'll try

So, I started by assigning the noise sample to Track 1 in a flex machine and placing a couple of random triggers in a 16-step pattern.

I then went into Record Setup and set the source for Recorder 2 to be the output of Track 1. The source for Rec. 3 to the output of T2 and then the source for Rec. 4 to the output of T3.

Then I just placed a few random Rec Trigs in Track 2-4, some of them being one-shot as during the 'performance' (which is essentially what the track was) I would be able to re-arm certain Recorder steps. I also set the RLEN parameters different on each Recorder

There's some filtering going on of course and I also had 4 Scenes setup which had the Amp Release for T1 set to 4 different lengths from very short to very long.

Once the Octatrack is playing, what's happening is T1 plays the noises, T2 samples some bit of T1, T3 samples some bit of T2 and T4....well you get the idea.

Now, with all that setup, depending where you place the playback and recorder trigs you get a totally different collage of sounds. It's strange though, as you make the tweaks, because there's inter-track delay (as the tweak is fed down through the recorder cascade), you don't hear the effect of your tweaks immediately. Some stuff worked, some stuff didn't. The feeling of being slightly removed from the tweaking process is funnily at odds with the usual immediacy of tweaking on the Octatrack. And that's only using 4 tracks

It gets even more complicated part way through as I then had the idea of p-locking some of the playback trigs on T1 to play from Recorders 2 to 4. Much of the 'tonal' textures you hear are because there's an internal recorder feedback loop going on (it got a bit out of control about the 6:00 mark for a while in that harsh ringing section - I was trying to subtly wrestle it back under control without being too obvious)

It's definitely something I'm going to explore more of. I really got the feeling I scratched the surface of something pretty interesting.

Files will be available to play with once the Lab is over.
Cheers, I'll be sure to try this out soon.
Go to top Post Reply