As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: New OT Lab
Re:New OT Lab 12 Years, 1 Month ago
I'll have to check the 'rules' though: not sure black body-stockings are allowed...

The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
More shizzle, random drone thing. Lots of random LFO's and weird time signatures

http://soundcloud.com/darenager/octatrack-science-lab2-2
Game & Watch
Edit: Fail
Chain Chomp
Multitracking? Or just the 8 tracks max?
Yoshi
Re:New OT Lab 12 Years ago
neilbaldwin wrote:
I'll have to check the 'rules' though: not sure black body-stockings are allowed...

mmmmm are you saying that my trusty compositional French Maid's outfit may be against the rules too?
Cappy
hey guys, thank you so much for you're appreciation it means a lot!

i got a few days off trade fair and got some other things to do, so in the end i had two nights to get to the sound i was after and shoot/edit that performance vid.

halfway through sound design i decided to give your entries a listen and was blown....BLOWN...away, especially by what neilbaldwin, darenager, tib and dataline pulled off in terms of sculpting their sounds. that's where i had a rush of envy i think

'cause i tried to get some kind of good BD and a singing voice out of the white noise and i knew somehow they were in those frequencies but just couldn't shape them.
(then neilbaldwin had another track loaded up with a...singing voice in the backround...AAAAARRRR)

in the end...what helped to a great amount:

- skipping the fancy neighbor machines
- sticking to the first BD-like sound that worked
- shaping some fine percussive noises (three tracks/samples in the song work that way)
- calculating some euclidean polyrhythm for the BD and one noise percussion sample
- using RTRG and RTIM and COMB filter to get sounds that (at least for me) resemble the kind of tones i would get out of my zither (as i did at a live gig last sunday with good results)
- hunting down that bass sound i dreamed of hearing it in a the XX track...

- getting a basic rhythm and melody slightly morphing across three patterns
- let the LFOs do their magick
- setting two scenes to be able to DROWN EVERYTHING IN REVERB (as opposed to all online tutorial recommendations) and do that FREEZE DELAY thing

and then just playing that goddam' track live

there's this option in the default TRACK mode to just play the samples on the eight tracks right away that got a bit lost since the major OS update with all the wonderful SLICE and CHROMATIC and SLOT stuff. for this track it was great fun to use it again...

so, it's actually three patterns going on and everytime the camera angle changes to "hands on the device" style in the video you can see me just stopping the sequencer, playing along to the established groove (in my head at least ) and then just plain restarting the sequencer....

the bodysock:
since i imagined for years (years! back then in ableton forum) that tarekith was an asian-american twenty-something (just from how the name "tarekith" resonated in my brain) and only recently watched his "this is what i can offer to you" at http://innerportalstudio.com/ and was totally like WHOAAA.....and,...truly think of neilbaldwin as a cool looking guy unconscious in a hospital bed and of actuel as a sprinkling star spirit cluster and of darenager as a bow tie guy making faces to a ring when i talk to friends or think about you during the day........AND (there are more reasons i will not bother you with this time) the sad, mean and totally ugly way youtube commenters rant about looks no matter how you actually look......i came to the conclusion that i should cover up in the most anonymous, shadow like Doom Patrol style i can come up with. + you learn to play the OT without being able to decipher the screen....

i'm looking forward to another sound design session on the weekend and getting to hear more from all of you, i'm really into this OTlab. let's have this monthly, it's just great.
Yoshi
I've mainly only used my OT as a MIDI sequencer, but here is my contribution ...

http://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/noize
Game & Watch
Great stuff guys, again interesting all the variety that is coming out, Mr Baldwin's observation about the OT being like a modular able to load custom waves is ringing true for sure.

I think it might be a good idea for everyone to share what we learned once the Lab is finished, knowledge is power (good call Door!) Plus it could be a handy asset for future OS development/feature suggestions and further enhanements, a few things still seem overly awkward and it will be interesting to hear from other users experiences.

I have really enjoyed taking part, both doing my own, and hearing yours, the great thing about these Labs is that everyone starts from the same point, but where things end is down to the individual, and that is what makes it interesting IMHO.

Machines don't make music, people do.
Game & Watch
http://soundcloud.com/darenager/play4

First version was too clicky, this one is still a bit but not as much, the freeze delay is responsible for the clicking, this one has some weird cross rhythms 15/16, 14/16, 62/64
Go to top Post Reply