As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT Crossfader problem (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT Crossfader problem
Cappy
Re:OT Crossfader problem 12 Years, 3 Months ago
Arkward!!!

Just checked the specs and it is an optical fader not a magnetic!!
I guess that makes all I just said null?
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
Omg, this is happening with me too, please dont tell me its hardware, I don't want to send the unit to sweden again, I have a gig coming soon and I've been preparing my set for months ffs
Kong
mr. applehead
you *could* get a fader from elektron and fit it yourself.
warranties aside of course..

@ dub
no way bud, its good to know that there's a difference! never heard of magnetic ones before this..
Goomba
BretDenser wrote:
My crossfader went crazy a couple of months ago. In my case some dirt or dust had fallen down on the sensor and a can of compressed air took care of it. It didn't come right off but after a couple of runs it did and the problem hasn't come back. I didn't open up the OT, just used the compressed air through the crossfader slide/hole.

Over'n out.

Yup I'm gonna try the compressed air.

thx
Goomba
neonleg wrote:
slightly ot but bear in mind smoke and such can cause optical potentiometers to play up over time.
try not to let that magic dragon down the fader slot

I don't smoke and cover my hardware to avoid dust to collect on and in it... but it may be dust in the crossfader indeed.

thx
Goomba
phading wrote:
Omg, this is happening with me too, please dont tell me its hardware, I don't want to send the unit to sweden again, I have a gig coming soon and I've been preparing my set for months ffs

Sad to hear that. I'm waiting a reply from my retailer...

thx
Goomba
I used compressed air in the crossfader slot and... IT WORKS AGAIN HAS IT SHOULD !!!

Don't have to send it back to retailer !

Cool.

Thanx all for your suggestions and help.
Compressed air is key, I must have it on hand at all times now. I've seen this a few times with the OT, but it doesn't stick around. If it seems like it's bad, I'll have them replace it before the warranty is up once I'm in Sweden. They know I've had this issue, and said I could send it in if I wanted.
But yes, I think that sometimes they just need to be blown out. I don't smoke either.
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
Hmm, I've just discovered that this happens only with some parameters on my OT; so it got to be a software problem :-/ (I don't know if this is good news or not)
EDIT: false, it actually happens with all the parameters.
King Koopa
Monomachine
Machinedrum
Octatrack
Evolver MEK PE
Rane TTM 56
Numark TTX
Maschine
Novation SL MKii
This is an infinium crossfader. Probably not the fader from the Octatrack, but still the same idea.

Please note the tiny silver "reflectors" or shields or hoods. They're similiar to your household burglar-alarm motion-detector. There is a printed plastic (encoder plate?) that glides between the two reflector/collectors. My best friend tried to be fly and put a little dab of oil on his Mackie D2 glider rails to get it to slide smoothly (an old Rane trick).The globs collected on the printed plastic piece, as well as pubes, dead-skin, and chocolate cake. Compressed air fixed it.

I had to clean mine recently. All better. If you try to blow air in the slot--be wary of compressed-air condensate/etc. Don't blow it while it's on.... I dunno. Have you ever turned your qwerty keyboard upside-down on your desk and shook it out?
Go to top Post Reply